AFRICA/EGYPT - The Christian churches participate in the national dialogue
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - There were also representatives of three Christian churches at the fourth session of the Egyptian national dialogue chaired by the Deputy President Mahmoud Mekky, which took place on 18 December.
On behalf of the Catholic Church there was present Fr. Rafic Greiche, director of communications for the Catholic Bishops of Egypt. There was a representative of the Orthodox Church and one of the Evangelical church.
The third session of the national dialogue concerned the appointment of 90 members of the Shura, the Upper House, after the office of the President had asked the political parties and churches to propose their candidates.
A month ago, the three churches had withdrawn their participation in the Constituent Assembly (see Fides 16/11/2012). The leaders of the Christian Churches in Egypt, however, opposed the boycott of the referendum on the new Constitution, which takes place in two rounds, on 15 and 22 December (see Fides 14/12/2012), while expressing concerns about some parts of the Constitution text (see Fides 12/12/2012). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/12/2012)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Patriarch Sidrak: the encounter between Francis and Tawadros II helps us to rediscover ourselves united in baptism
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: the meeting between Pope Francis and Pope Tawadros - to walk towards full communion between our Churches
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
- 2013-04-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II’s secretary: five guidelines to do away with religious conflicts
- 2013-04-08 AFRICA/EGYPT - Assault against the Coptic Cathedral of St. Mark. Patriarch Tawadros calls everyone to remain calm
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros: I will go to Rome to meet Pope Francis
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - The new Coptic Catholic Patriarch settles while in Rome the Pro Eligendo Pontiff Mass is held. Cardinal Naguib: it is a providential coincidence
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
- 2013-02-23 AFRICA/EGYPT - Elections at Easter: Copts protest, possible postponement
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Catholic priest killed; "this is the second of my priests to die" says Catholic Bishop of Zanzibar