AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - The Sudanese government has announced a major breakthrough in talks with South Sudan saying all obstacles facing the implementation of a border security deal they signed in September have been surmounted.
Sudanese sources say that during the talks between the two parties held in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, an agreement of 11 points was reached in order to overcome all the obstacles that faced the implementation of the eight cooperation agreements signed by Khartoum and Juba on September 27.
The deals signed included an agreement to resume South Sudan’s oil exports via Sudan, which had been blocked because Khartoum asked the South Sudanese authorities to immediately implement the border security deal and sever alleged ties with the SPLM-N (Sudan People's Liberation Movement-north), the guerrilla group that has been fighting in South Kordofan and Blue Nile against the Sudanese army. The SPLM-N was part of the movement that now governs South Sudan. The authorities in Juba could not therefore contribute to disarm the men who fought alongside them for the Country's independence.
There is no comment from South Sudan so far on the developements announced by Khartoum. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25 victims in the umpteenth bombing in the Nuba Mountains
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Chadian troops entered in Darfur, accusing a rebel movement
- 2013-04-05 AFRICA/SUDAN - The continuous bombing on villages in the Nuba Mountains aims to drive out the civilians
- 2013-03-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
- 2013-02-21 AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/SUDAN - Talks between Sudan and South Sudan have been postponed
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Stop the war in South Kordofan and Blue Nile" is what 350 African civil societies ask for
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SUDAN - Agreement between Sudan and South Sudan in Addis Ababa
- 2012-12-19 AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security