AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - The Sudanese government has announced a major breakthrough in talks with South Sudan saying all obstacles facing the implementation of a border security deal they signed in September have been surmounted.
Sudanese sources say that during the talks between the two parties held in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, an agreement of 11 points was reached in order to overcome all the obstacles that faced the implementation of the eight cooperation agreements signed by Khartoum and Juba on September 27.
The deals signed included an agreement to resume South Sudan’s oil exports via Sudan, which had been blocked because Khartoum asked the South Sudanese authorities to immediately implement the border security deal and sever alleged ties with the SPLM-N (Sudan People's Liberation Movement-north), the guerrilla group that has been fighting in South Kordofan and Blue Nile against the Sudanese army. The SPLM-N was part of the movement that now governs South Sudan. The authorities in Juba could not therefore contribute to disarm the men who fought alongside them for the Country's independence.
There is no comment from South Sudan so far on the developements announced by Khartoum. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum
- 2014-07-09 - Torrential rains worsen the living conditions of hundreds of thousands of displaced persons
- 2014-07-02 - Humanitarian crisis and lack of investment in social sectors affect 70% of children
- 2014-06-25 - Over 4,500 homeless children in the capital of South Darfur
- 2014-06-02 - "The condemnation of Mariam Yehya Ibrahim is a direct persecution of Christians " say the Sudanese Christian Churches
- 2014-05-31 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Women in refugee camps beaten and tortured
- 2014-05-26 - Christian Churches condemn the death penalty imposed on a Christian woman accused of apostasy
- 2014-05-21 - Rapes, theft and destruction against the displaced persons in the refugee camp in Zamzam
- 2014-05-14 - After the bombing of a Catholic hospital, mass displacement in Southern Kordofan