AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - The Sudanese government has announced a major breakthrough in talks with South Sudan saying all obstacles facing the implementation of a border security deal they signed in September have been surmounted.
Sudanese sources say that during the talks between the two parties held in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, an agreement of 11 points was reached in order to overcome all the obstacles that faced the implementation of the eight cooperation agreements signed by Khartoum and Juba on September 27.
The deals signed included an agreement to resume South Sudan’s oil exports via Sudan, which had been blocked because Khartoum asked the South Sudanese authorities to immediately implement the border security deal and sever alleged ties with the SPLM-N (Sudan People's Liberation Movement-north), the guerrilla group that has been fighting in South Kordofan and Blue Nile against the Sudanese army. The SPLM-N was part of the movement that now governs South Sudan. The authorities in Juba could not therefore contribute to disarm the men who fought alongside them for the Country's independence.
There is no comment from South Sudan so far on the developements announced by Khartoum. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Let us not forget the suffering of the peoples of Sudan", says the Church
- 2014-01-10 AFRICA/SUDAN - Anemia, typhoid, diarrhea and cough are the causes for thousands of deaths in South Darfur
- 2013-12-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25% less aid to 6 million Sudanese in difficulty
- 2013-12-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - The military hospitals refuse to treat the militiamen
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Armed militiamen attack farmers and take turns raping women farmers in North Darfur
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - 7000 inhabitants in South Darfur do not have drinking water and basic services
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/SUDAN - Air raid on a school in the area of the Nuba Mountains: people killed and wounded
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Training courses for Sudanese teachers in refugee camps in Chad
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church