AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - The Sudanese government has announced a major breakthrough in talks with South Sudan saying all obstacles facing the implementation of a border security deal they signed in September have been surmounted.
Sudanese sources say that during the talks between the two parties held in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, an agreement of 11 points was reached in order to overcome all the obstacles that faced the implementation of the eight cooperation agreements signed by Khartoum and Juba on September 27.
The deals signed included an agreement to resume South Sudan’s oil exports via Sudan, which had been blocked because Khartoum asked the South Sudanese authorities to immediately implement the border security deal and sever alleged ties with the SPLM-N (Sudan People's Liberation Movement-north), the guerrilla group that has been fighting in South Kordofan and Blue Nile against the Sudanese army. The SPLM-N was part of the movement that now governs South Sudan. The authorities in Juba could not therefore contribute to disarm the men who fought alongside them for the Country's independence.
There is no comment from South Sudan so far on the developements announced by Khartoum. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2015-04-22 - Outbreak of measles in Darfur: cases continue to multiply
- 2015-04-15 - 70 thousand bags of Carcinogenic Sugar distributed in South Darfur
- 2015-04-13 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Elections contested by the opposition begin, while tension increases with South Sudan
- 2015-02-25 - The number of homeless children, 700 000 live on the streets of the capital
- 2015-02-12 - Hunger and diseases for the displaced persons in Darfur: food, medicines and basic necessities are needed
- 2015-01-30 - Humanitarian aid denied in conflict areas: MSF forced to close activities
- 2015-01-14 - Hunger and cold temperatures continue to cause deaths in North Darfur
- 2014-12-17 - Twenty new radio stations in Darfur and South Kordofan
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Police raid Evangelical church in Khartoum
- 2014-11-12 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Alarm: haemorrhagic fever in Southern Kordofan