AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Cordial meeting between the Bishops and President Kirchner
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The meeting between the Executive Committee of the local Episcopal Conference and the President of Argentina Cristina Fernández de Kirchner took place in an atmosphere of harmony and sincere dialogue. This was confirmed in a statement sent to Fides Agency. During the meeting the Head of State was given a crib as a present, with images of the Child Jesus, Mary and Joseph, and the Bishops' document "We believe in Jesus Christ, the Lord of history" was delivered.
The spokesman of the Episcopate, Father Jorge Oesterheld in a conversation with reporters, said that the bishops were satisfied with the talks with the President during which the need to strengthen the links between the Argentines was highlighted. Fr. Oesterheld reiterated the statement in the Bishops' document published a few days ago on the "need to strengthen the links between the Argentines, avoiding divisions and the climate of confrontation."
The Executive Committee of Bishops, appreciated the concern of the President on the issue of human trafficking, and they confirmed a common concern over the rise of drug addiction in young people.
He also discussed the possible reform of the Civil Code and on this issue, the Bishops stressed the importance of the Church related to the care of life and family. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2015-11-25 - New President: the Church hopes stronger solidarity policies for vulnerable sectors
- 2015-11-20 - Thousands occupy houses and land, the Bishop denounces the absence of state authorities
- 2015-11-17 - Family, formation of priests, environmental problems: the topics analyzed by the Bishops
- 2015-11-11 - 140 years ago the first group of Salesian missionaries arrived in Patagonia
- 2015-11-09 - Assembly of Bishops in progress: Eucharistic Congress, family and priestly formation Buenos
- 2015-11-05 - Mining company withdraws from La Rioja: statement of the Bishop and the Deputy Governor
- 2015-11-04 - The request of the diocese to the State: "Do not suspend the subsidies to schools"
- 2015-11-03 - National Day of the Sick, an opportunity aimed to arouse greater sensitivity
- 2015-10-26 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – First stage of Bishop’s beatification process expected to take two years
- 2015-10-06 - Mgr. Gimeno in view of the elections: "We must learn to choose before voting"