AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Cordial meeting between the Bishops and President Kirchner
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The meeting between the Executive Committee of the local Episcopal Conference and the President of Argentina Cristina Fernández de Kirchner took place in an atmosphere of harmony and sincere dialogue. This was confirmed in a statement sent to Fides Agency. During the meeting the Head of State was given a crib as a present, with images of the Child Jesus, Mary and Joseph, and the Bishops' document "We believe in Jesus Christ, the Lord of history" was delivered.
The spokesman of the Episcopate, Father Jorge Oesterheld in a conversation with reporters, said that the bishops were satisfied with the talks with the President during which the need to strengthen the links between the Argentines was highlighted. Fr. Oesterheld reiterated the statement in the Bishops' document published a few days ago on the "need to strengthen the links between the Argentines, avoiding divisions and the climate of confrontation."
The Executive Committee of Bishops, appreciated the concern of the President on the issue of human trafficking, and they confirmed a common concern over the rise of drug addiction in young people.
He also discussed the possible reform of the Civil Code and on this issue, the Bishops stressed the importance of the Church related to the care of life and family. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"