AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Cordial meeting between the Bishops and President Kirchner
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The meeting between the Executive Committee of the local Episcopal Conference and the President of Argentina Cristina Fernández de Kirchner took place in an atmosphere of harmony and sincere dialogue. This was confirmed in a statement sent to Fides Agency. During the meeting the Head of State was given a crib as a present, with images of the Child Jesus, Mary and Joseph, and the Bishops' document "We believe in Jesus Christ, the Lord of history" was delivered.
The spokesman of the Episcopate, Father Jorge Oesterheld in a conversation with reporters, said that the bishops were satisfied with the talks with the President during which the need to strengthen the links between the Argentines was highlighted. Fr. Oesterheld reiterated the statement in the Bishops' document published a few days ago on the "need to strengthen the links between the Argentines, avoiding divisions and the climate of confrontation."
The Executive Committee of Bishops, appreciated the concern of the President on the issue of human trafficking, and they confirmed a common concern over the rise of drug addiction in young people.
He also discussed the possible reform of the Civil Code and on this issue, the Bishops stressed the importance of the Church related to the care of life and family. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking
- 2015-05-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Child nutrition, drugs and poverty: meeting of Bishops and authorities of Buenos Aires
- 2015-05-26 - The Church's message for the National holiday: no to hatred, play politics with moral integrity