AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Cordial meeting between the Bishops and President Kirchner
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The meeting between the Executive Committee of the local Episcopal Conference and the President of Argentina Cristina Fernández de Kirchner took place in an atmosphere of harmony and sincere dialogue. This was confirmed in a statement sent to Fides Agency. During the meeting the Head of State was given a crib as a present, with images of the Child Jesus, Mary and Joseph, and the Bishops' document "We believe in Jesus Christ, the Lord of history" was delivered.
The spokesman of the Episcopate, Father Jorge Oesterheld in a conversation with reporters, said that the bishops were satisfied with the talks with the President during which the need to strengthen the links between the Argentines was highlighted. Fr. Oesterheld reiterated the statement in the Bishops' document published a few days ago on the "need to strengthen the links between the Argentines, avoiding divisions and the climate of confrontation."
The Executive Committee of Bishops, appreciated the concern of the President on the issue of human trafficking, and they confirmed a common concern over the rise of drug addiction in young people.
He also discussed the possible reform of the Civil Code and on this issue, the Bishops stressed the importance of the Church related to the care of life and family. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2014-12-17 - Church and government meet again
- 2014-12-11 - Drug and human trafficking: "There are people who have money stained with blood in their pocket"
- 2014-11-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Debate on the mining law, the Bishops ask respect for the environment
- 2014-11-05 - The fight against drugs should be considered a State matter
- 2014-11-04 - Two thousand secondary school teachers gathered for the XII Education Forum
- 2014-10-30 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Drugs: "it is urgent to move from concern to action"
- 2014-10-28 - The Bishops' spot: where are the children who disappeared during the State terrorism?
- 2014-10-11 - During the debate on drugs, the government also looks at the position of Bishops
- 2014-10-09 - Strong commitment of the Diocese of Quilmes against human trafficking and related crimes
- 2014-10-08 - Free vaccination campaign for children