AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN - Rebels conquer another city; Chad sends troops to support the military government
Bangui (Agenzia Fides)- The Central African Republic rebel offensive of the Seleka coalition does not stop and today have taken over the town of Kabo, 350 km from the capital Bangui, a day after they had taken the diamond center of Bria (see Fides 18/12/2012).
"The situation is still calm but there is a growing concern among the population for the development of the rebel offensive " refer to Fides Agency local sources from Bangui. "The evolution of the situation on the ground can change at any moment and it is difficult to make predictions," add our sources.
Chad yesterday sent its troops to help the Central African army that has so far seemed unable to cope with the Seleka rebels, a name under which they at least three armed groups converge that had signed in the past years of the peace agreements with the government of President François Bozizé.
One of the uncertainties that weighs on the situation is the attitude of the population towards the rebels. If these were to somehow obtain the support of civilians, the Bozizé regime would have serious problems. But so far, at least according to state government sources, the rebels have looted the conquered cities forcing many residents to flee. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2013-06-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Catholic Church at the center of dialogue among the faiths to ease the tension
- 2013-06-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Let us intervene immediately to prevent the Central African Republic to become the Somalia of Central Africa"
- 2013-06-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The important thing is to be close to the poor," says the Bishop of the devastated Diocese of Bangassou
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Central African Republic is likely to become a home for Al Qaeda," says a missionary
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Planned destruction of Christian churches" the Bishops denounce
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "What are the true intentions of Seleka towards us?" Ask the Bishops
- 2013-05-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The looting of the rebels continues, another church desecrated
- 2013-04-25 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - A month after the conquest of Bangui rebels continue to vex the population
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Central African Countries promise another 2000 men to ensure safety
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a thousand people have sought refuge in the hospital" says the Archbishop of Bangui