ASIA/PHILIPPINES - President Aquino will sign the Reproductive Health Bill within the year. For the Church, "he is like a dictator"
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - The last act for the entry into force of the "Reproductive Health Bill" is President Benigno Aquino’s signature, which will take place by the end of 2012: it was announced by the President himself, on the margin of the approval of the budget of the state. The Philippine Parliament gave a favorable opinion with regards to the law in two sessions: the first Chamber, then the Senate, where the measure on Monday 17 recorded 13 votes in favor and 8 against. Now a plenary session of both Houses is expected to harmonize the two texts, and then the presidential ratification, which will mark the entry into force of the law. The legislation provides for state funding to family planning and birth control, including campaigns to facilitate access to contraceptives.
The Catholic Church, which, with pro-life groups has fought against this law, expressed herself with harsh words to President Aquino. Mgr. Gabriel Reyes, Bishop of Antipolo and President of the Episcopal Commission "family and life," declared his concern for the nation: "It is already like dictatorship, because the government controls Congress and the judiciary," he said in a note sent to Fides Agency. The Bishop, as many other observers, claim that the President had "bought consensus" using the "pork barell," the contribution that MPs receive to finance specific projects in their districts of origin. At least five members of Congress and other parliamentarians, the Bishop remarks, "have changed their position due to pressure from Malacañang," adding that "this may become a threat to the country's democracy." The Bishop of Bacalod, Mgr. Vicente M. Navarra, on his behalf urged the faithful to "obey God, not men."
In the state budget, just approved, for the Ministry of Health 51.1 billion pesos have been allocated, as confirmed by the government, including funds to provide sex education to students, and to provide public assistance on contraceptives and methods of planning family. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2013-12-04 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Solidarity with Muslims: Advent message on behalf of the movement "Silsilah"
- 2013-12-02 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - "Silsilah" movement chosen for the Goi Peace Award
- 2013-11-26 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The poor wait outside hospitals because they cannot pay their visits and treatments and very often die
- 2013-11-25 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Updates on the interventions to the people affected by the typhoon
- 2013-11-22 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The "Jesuit Refugee Service" to the rescue of the Filipino people hit by Haiyan
- 2013-11-21 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Enhance the network of religious congregations for aid to the population: a testimony from Cebu
- 2013-11-21 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Typhoon Hayian: humanitarian aid from the Community of St. Egidio to the victims not reached by the government
- 2013-11-20 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Bishops and Ulema of Mindanao are offered to mediate in the peace process
- 2013-11-19 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops: social networks to tear down the corruption-risk regarding aid to the victims of the typhoon
- 2013-11-15 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Typhoon Haiyan, the Order of Malta is mobilizing for the islands which have not been reached by relief