AMERICA/ECUADOR - The phenomenon of child labor spreads: in the streets, factories, fields
Quito (Agenzia Fides) - The phenomenon of child labor continues to spread through the streets of Quito despite the will to eradicate it in the country. In the capital of Ecuador one see youngsellers of all kinds of merchandise, forced more or less by their parents to work in miserable conditions. There are also many unemployed mothers with large families who are forced to send their to work with them. According to data collected by Fides Agency, the Ministry for Economic and Social Inclusion (MIES) indicates that in Ecuador 290 thousand children work voluntarily and involuntarily, some in the streets and others in factories or in the fields. There is no precise data on the actual number of children working and are exploited, but, according to the National Statistics Institute (INEC), in December 2011 out of 3,675,803 Ecuadorian children and adolescents between 5 and 17 years of age, 213,146 were working . (AP) (Agenzia Fides 17/12/2012)
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/ECUADOR - The first Holy Colombian, big feast also in the Ande of Ecuador
- 2013-04-27 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Clashes amaong Indians and exploitation of the earth: for the Bishops it is "a conflict due to indifference"
- 2013-04-27 AMERICA/ECUADOR - The Church defends the Amazon environment, threatened by the interests of market
- 2013-04-09 AMERICA/ECUADOR - "A provocation to divide the community," the Archbishop denounces the protests of Evangelicals
- 2013-01-15 AMERICA/ECUADOR - The Bishops for the presidential elections, "the Christian should not adhere to ideological systems that oppose to the faith he professes"
- 2012-12-17 AMERICA/ECUADOR - The phenomenon of child labor spreads: in the streets, factories, fields
- 2012-11-16 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Controversy over a provision that hurts the religious sensibility of the sick
- 2012-11-12 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Assembly of the Missionaries: to strengthen faith for the Permanent Mission and contribute to a New Evangelization.
- 2012-10-31 AMERICA/ECUADOR - "Close stories to be listened far away": contest to promote radio stations
- 2012-10-26 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Ecuador in celebration for the beatification of the Missionary Sister, Mary Troncatti