AMERICA/COSTA RICA - "The attack on life harms development and peace," says the Apostolic Nuncio
San José (Agenzia Fides) - "Every attack on life, especially in the beginning, inevitably causes irreparable damage to development, peace and the environment. False rights or freedoms, based on a narrow vision of the human person, promoting an alleged right to abortion and euthanasia, threaten the fundamental right to life": is what the Papal Nuncio in Costa Rica, His Exc. Mgr. Pierre Nguyen Van Tot, taking part, along with the Minister of Health, Daisy Maria Diaz Corrales and other senior officials said at a ceremony on the occasion of the 85th anniversary of the Ministry of Health. As reported in a note sent to Fides, Mgr. Pierre was invited by the Minister to participate in the Christmas "posada" (religious celebration) prepared by the body. In his speech, the Pope’s representative said that "from this place, where we worship He who was born in a manger, measures for the development and progress of the state of health of the population of Costa Rica will have to be promoted and controlled."
To the staff of the Ministry of Health, and all the workers of the institute, the Apostolic Nuncio recalled the Holy Father’s words: "Doctors and health professionals who deal with human beings are special reserves of love that give serenity and hope to those who suffer."
The Nuncio remarked that "it is necessary to establish a public health program that is based on management skills and professional competence of those responsible. But this, in itself, is not sufficient, because if human beings are not seen as people, men and women created in the image of God, endowed with inviolable dignity, every effort will be useless. "
Costa Rica is going through a particular phase of debate and attention to the issue of life, marriage and the family and the local Church has intervened publicly on these issues. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/12/2012)
- 2015-03-02 - Unexpected increase of cases of rotavirus in children: a thousand a week
- 2014-12-23 - Entrepreneurial initiatives for poor women
- 2014-12-17 - The campaign against hunger begins again, especially to help poor families
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA – Poverty and violence afflict 34% of Costa Rica’s children
- 2014-09-09 - Solidarity initiative to prevent child abuse and maltreatment
- 2014-07-23 - The chicungunya virus continues to alarm Latin American Countries
- 2014-06-12 - More than 47 thousand children suffer violence and are forced to work
- 2014-06-09 - Over 47 000 boys and girls exploited for child labor
- 2014-04-07 - Presidential elections: the Bishops urge unity for peace, solidarity, justice and holiness
- 2014-02-15 - Bishops to MPs: "only wear the shirt of Costa Rica"