AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church: "Vote the people closest to the problems of the population"
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The upcoming elections are "really important because we are going to elect the people who are closest to the problems of the population and have in their hands the solution to these problems." This is why "there has to be an attitude of serenity in all environments and one must actively participate. With God's help, we hope everything goes well in this event and so the country will be able to take the path of stability." Is what His Eminence Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, Archbishop of Caracas said on the eve of the vote in the provinces, a delicate step for the Venezuelan society. As reported to Fides the Cardinal - who also asked to pray for the health of the President of the Republic, Hugo Chávez - said: "There needs to be an active and strong presence at the polling stations in each state. We are going to vote and to participate as a demonstration of one’s commitment for the good of the country."
On Sunday, the Bishops sent a statement to all parishes in the country, saying: "We ask everyone to actively participate, we asked the National Electoral Council (CNE) to fulfill its duty to monitor, so that there is no opportunism, and everything is done according to the law. We also reminded the Bolivarian National Armed Forces (fanb) to guarantee public order and fairness in the elections."
The request of the Church is right, as confirmed by the Archbishop of Caracas, due to the low participation of the last regional elections. Venezuela will elect tomorrow, December 16, 23 governors, 237 legislative council members and eight indigenous representatives. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/12/2012)
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene