AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of neighboring Dioceses in South Sudan in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia have called for borders demarcation to avoid conflicts and to achieve peaceful co-existence amongst the neighbouring communities of the four countries. According to reports from the Sudan Catholic Radio Network the appeal was launched during a Conference on peace and cross border evangelization at Lodwa Diocese in Kenya.
His Exc. Mgr. Dominic Kimengich, Bishop of Lodwa, appealed to the international community to help in the border demarcation in avoid tensions and wars amongst the neighbouring pastoralist communities. It is not uncommon for gangs to raid cattle from one border to another, especially between Kenya and Ethiopia, causing deaths and injuries.
The Bishop of Lodwa urged Church officials to encourage peace building through reconciling the people together.
The Bishop of Torit, Johnson Akio Mutek suggested the inclusion of elders in resolving the issues of the borders.
The meeting of the Bishops of the four states was born from the need to find a common position on the issue of the Ilemi Triangle, an area of 14,000 square kilometers disputed by South Sudan, Kenya and Ethiopia. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2012)
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights