AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of neighboring Dioceses in South Sudan in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia have called for borders demarcation to avoid conflicts and to achieve peaceful co-existence amongst the neighbouring communities of the four countries. According to reports from the Sudan Catholic Radio Network the appeal was launched during a Conference on peace and cross border evangelization at Lodwa Diocese in Kenya.
His Exc. Mgr. Dominic Kimengich, Bishop of Lodwa, appealed to the international community to help in the border demarcation in avoid tensions and wars amongst the neighbouring pastoralist communities. It is not uncommon for gangs to raid cattle from one border to another, especially between Kenya and Ethiopia, causing deaths and injuries.
The Bishop of Lodwa urged Church officials to encourage peace building through reconciling the people together.
The Bishop of Torit, Johnson Akio Mutek suggested the inclusion of elders in resolving the issues of the borders.
The meeting of the Bishops of the four states was born from the need to find a common position on the issue of the Ilemi Triangle, an area of 14,000 square kilometers disputed by South Sudan, Kenya and Ethiopia. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2012)
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana