AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of neighboring Dioceses in South Sudan in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia have called for borders demarcation to avoid conflicts and to achieve peaceful co-existence amongst the neighbouring communities of the four countries. According to reports from the Sudan Catholic Radio Network the appeal was launched during a Conference on peace and cross border evangelization at Lodwa Diocese in Kenya.
His Exc. Mgr. Dominic Kimengich, Bishop of Lodwa, appealed to the international community to help in the border demarcation in avoid tensions and wars amongst the neighbouring pastoralist communities. It is not uncommon for gangs to raid cattle from one border to another, especially between Kenya and Ethiopia, causing deaths and injuries.
The Bishop of Lodwa urged Church officials to encourage peace building through reconciling the people together.
The Bishop of Torit, Johnson Akio Mutek suggested the inclusion of elders in resolving the issues of the borders.
The meeting of the Bishops of the four states was born from the need to find a common position on the issue of the Ilemi Triangle, an area of 14,000 square kilometers disputed by South Sudan, Kenya and Ethiopia. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2012)
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
- 2014-06-24 - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
- 2014-06-24 - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
- 2014-06-18 - "The two assaults committed by Kenyans and foreigners, not by Shabaab", says the Bishop of Malindi
- 2014-06-17 - New assault against a Kenyan village, the commando has probably taken women and children hostage