AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of neighboring Dioceses in South Sudan in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia have called for borders demarcation to avoid conflicts and to achieve peaceful co-existence amongst the neighbouring communities of the four countries. According to reports from the Sudan Catholic Radio Network the appeal was launched during a Conference on peace and cross border evangelization at Lodwa Diocese in Kenya.
His Exc. Mgr. Dominic Kimengich, Bishop of Lodwa, appealed to the international community to help in the border demarcation in avoid tensions and wars amongst the neighbouring pastoralist communities. It is not uncommon for gangs to raid cattle from one border to another, especially between Kenya and Ethiopia, causing deaths and injuries.
The Bishop of Lodwa urged Church officials to encourage peace building through reconciling the people together.
The Bishop of Torit, Johnson Akio Mutek suggested the inclusion of elders in resolving the issues of the borders.
The meeting of the Bishops of the four states was born from the need to find a common position on the issue of the Ilemi Triangle, an area of 14,000 square kilometers disputed by South Sudan, Kenya and Ethiopia. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2012)
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights
- 2015-01-14 - Tetanus vaccine: the first tests deny that it can be used for birth control
- 2014-12-30 - Anti-Christian attacks: Christian leaders urge the faithful to forgiveness
- 2014-12-23 - State and Church work together to help the people of Lake Turkana
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed