AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of neighboring Dioceses in South Sudan in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia have called for borders demarcation to avoid conflicts and to achieve peaceful co-existence amongst the neighbouring communities of the four countries. According to reports from the Sudan Catholic Radio Network the appeal was launched during a Conference on peace and cross border evangelization at Lodwa Diocese in Kenya.
His Exc. Mgr. Dominic Kimengich, Bishop of Lodwa, appealed to the international community to help in the border demarcation in avoid tensions and wars amongst the neighbouring pastoralist communities. It is not uncommon for gangs to raid cattle from one border to another, especially between Kenya and Ethiopia, causing deaths and injuries.
The Bishop of Lodwa urged Church officials to encourage peace building through reconciling the people together.
The Bishop of Torit, Johnson Akio Mutek suggested the inclusion of elders in resolving the issues of the borders.
The meeting of the Bishops of the four states was born from the need to find a common position on the issue of the Ilemi Triangle, an area of 14,000 square kilometers disputed by South Sudan, Kenya and Ethiopia. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2012)
- 2015-09-08 - The protest of teachers takes to the street, the Church calls for dialogue
- 2015-09-04 - The Bishops of Kenya officially announce Pope Francis' visit
- 2015-09-03 - Bishop of Meru: "Fight for a culture that promotes family and life"
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp