AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of neighboring Dioceses in South Sudan in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia have called for borders demarcation to avoid conflicts and to achieve peaceful co-existence amongst the neighbouring communities of the four countries. According to reports from the Sudan Catholic Radio Network the appeal was launched during a Conference on peace and cross border evangelization at Lodwa Diocese in Kenya.
His Exc. Mgr. Dominic Kimengich, Bishop of Lodwa, appealed to the international community to help in the border demarcation in avoid tensions and wars amongst the neighbouring pastoralist communities. It is not uncommon for gangs to raid cattle from one border to another, especially between Kenya and Ethiopia, causing deaths and injuries.
The Bishop of Lodwa urged Church officials to encourage peace building through reconciling the people together.
The Bishop of Torit, Johnson Akio Mutek suggested the inclusion of elders in resolving the issues of the borders.
The meeting of the Bishops of the four states was born from the need to find a common position on the issue of the Ilemi Triangle, an area of 14,000 square kilometers disputed by South Sudan, Kenya and Ethiopia. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2012)
- 2014-04-16 - "Ensure a safe country for us and future generations with respect for human rights", asks Cardinal Njue
- 2014-03-27 - Christian and Muslim religious leaders condemn the attack on the Evangelical Church
- 2014-03-24 - "The fundamentalists that strike Christians also threaten the local Imam", said the apostolic administrator of Mombasa
- 2014-01-07 - Food, clothing, shelter, water: emergency for Sudanese refugees
- 2013-11-19 - Polio alert in the Horn of Africa: planned vaccination campaigns for millions of children
- 2013-11-11 - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
- 2013-11-09 - The Bishops of Kenya: insecurity, corruption and greed devastate the nation
- 2013-10-24 - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
- 2013-10-02 - AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
- 2013-09-27 - Controversy over the assault at Westgate