VATICAN - Observations on behalf of His Exc. Mgr. Savio Hon Tai-Fai, S.D.B., Secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - On the decision of the so-called Conference of Catholic Bishops of China and the Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association, to withdraw the ''approval'' from His Exc. Mgr. Taddeo Ma Daqin, the Secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, His Exc. Mgr. Savio Hon Tai-Fai, S.D.B., said:
1) In the Catholic Church, the Episcopal Conferences do not have the power to appoint or approve a Bishop, or cancel the mandate or to impose sanctions against him. Much less it can be done by the so-called Conference of Catholic Bishops of China, which was not recognized by the Holy See. Therefore, Mgr. Ma Daqin remains in his office as Auxiliary Bishop of Shanghai. The measure in question, in terms of the Church, therefore has no legal value whatsoever, it also creates an unnecessary division in the country.
2) The Archbishop has behaved with admirable fidelity to the Church and professed sincere love for his country. Cardinal Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, already expressed support to Mgr. Ma in his recent article, published in N. 167 of the magazine Tripod in Hong Kong.
3) Many Catholics from around the world have turned to this Dicastery to express its regret for the abuse, committed by the so-called Episcopal Conference of the Catholic Bishops of China and by the Patriotic Association. This injustice is all the more painful because it makes an attempt on communion and discipline of the Catholic Church precisely in the Year of Faith.
4) Catholics are invited to join the ecclesial initiatives of prayer, promoted in various Dioceses, to show participation regarding Mgr. Ma’s incident and to those who in China live in similar situations. To this end, one could include an intention of prayer in the Eucharistic celebration. (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2012)
- 2013-05-18 VATICAN - "The PMS, concrete sign for the special attention to the young Churches," Cardinal Filoni at the audience with Pope Francis
- 2013-05-18 VATICAN - The Holy Father's Speech addressed to the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-14 VATICAN - "There is need to give renewal to the missionary animation of the Churches of ancient tradition," says the President of the Pontifical Mission Societies National Directors
- 2013-05-13 VATICAN - "It is necessary to review the methods of evangelization": Cardinal Filoni at the Assembly of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-08 VATICAN - Annual General Meeting of the Pontifical Mission Societies, from May 13 to 18
- 2013-04-22 VATICAN - "Finding the right and peaceful paths to overcome the crisis," Pope's appeal for Venezuela
- 2013-04-18 VATICAN - Cardinal Filoni: dialogue between religions in Asia "for the common good"
- 2013-04-17 VATICAN - Pope Francis: to evangelize, baptism is enough
- 2013-04-15 VATICAN - Listening to Asia: Pathways for faith, societies and religions, between tradition and contemporaneity
- 2013-04-10 VATICAN CITY - Cardinal Filoni at the Feast of the Pontifical Urban University: to proclaim Christ in the suburbs of humanity