ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Reproductive health Bill: Bishops urge politicians to respect the right to life
Cebu (Agenzia Fides) - "The truth must be at the basis of the law", the nation needs a law "to affirm and protect the truth about the dignity of the human person, who has been created in the very image of God, the sanctity of the family, the basic social unit which even our Constitution recognizes as the foundation of the nation": is what is said in an open Letter that the Filipino Bishops addressed today, December 12, to members of parliament of the Philippines, on the occasion of the vote on the "Reproductive Health Bill", which has reached the decisive vote of Congress. The letter, signed by His Exc. Mgr. Jose Palma, Archbishop of Cebu and President of the Episcopal Conference, which was received by Fides Agency, asked members of Congress to "respect the right to life, the right of married couples to found a family according to their religious and moral beliefs, and to be the primary educators of their children."
In the process of approval of a legislative measure, note the Bishops "it is not the law of the strongest that must prevail, but rather the strength of law." Nor, continue the Prelates citing Pope Benedict XVI, can there be an "arbitrary conduct on the part of the state," which imposes its morality. A law on an ethically sensitive issue as this "should be seen as something truly shared by all." And if citizens have rebelled, this is because "it is not perceived as an expression of justice, but as a product of despotism." The Reproductive health Bill is therefore to be rejected because "the Philippines need a law" to unite and not divide. "
Mgr. Jose Palma, invokes the special intercession of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the patron saint of the Catholic pro-life movement, "whose feast-day we celebrate today," so that lawmakers "may be guided by the Holy Spirit", inviting, amidst the many voices trying to influence them, "do not be afraid" and to "obey God rather than men." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2012)
- 2013-04-25 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Bishops' Appeal: "Cherish the earth to save Mindanao"
- 2013-04-24 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The religious: " Government insufficient on ecology, human rights, corruption, land reform"
- 2013-04-16 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - General Elections: the Church traces the identikit of the "good candidate"
- 2013-03-04 ASIA/PHILIPPINES – The activist killed in Boracay was a lay Catholic of the Vincentian Family
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Church next to the tribals, in the face of abuses in the tourist paradise of Boracay
- 2013-01-30 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops on the upcoming elections: we need a law against political dynasties
- 2013-01-22 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The typhoon also has an impact on maternal and child health
- 2013-01-14 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Schools reopen after the typhoon but there is still no electricity
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Fr. Mendes: "Caritas volunteers and doctors are in danger because of the Taliban’s fury"
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - President Aquino will sign the Reproductive Health Bill within the year. For the Church, "he is like a dictator"