AMERICA/CHILE - The end of the world on December 21? Then give away your possessions to the Church
Punta Arenas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Punta Arenas (Chile), His Exc. Mgr. Bernardo Bastres Florence, S.D.B., faced with the concerns of those who say that next December 21 could be the end of the world, because it coincides with the end of the Mayan calendar, surprised everyone with a particular request. In fact, last Sunday he proposed those who are convinced of this next event, to give away their goods to the Catholic Church, as reported in a note sent to Fides Agency by the local press (La Prensa Austral).
"According to rumors, a Chinese or a Japanese is building a ship like Noah's Ark - said the Bishop -. While many believe that the world will end on December 21, we, as a Church, have no problem if people want to give away their belongings and leave their properties. I assure you that after December 21 we will pray for ever for them, because I am sure that after that date we will still be alive. If they want to go away, far away from here, they will only do a good thing by giving their property to the Church. "The Bishop concluded: "This story of the end of the world has no seriousness. I have already planned commitments until the end of next year, and if we die, it will be God’s will." In this southern part of Chile there is a lot of anxiety among the people on the subject, and many go to their pastors to ask what to do. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2012)
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education