AMERICA/CHILE - The end of the world on December 21? Then give away your possessions to the Church
Punta Arenas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Punta Arenas (Chile), His Exc. Mgr. Bernardo Bastres Florence, S.D.B., faced with the concerns of those who say that next December 21 could be the end of the world, because it coincides with the end of the Mayan calendar, surprised everyone with a particular request. In fact, last Sunday he proposed those who are convinced of this next event, to give away their goods to the Catholic Church, as reported in a note sent to Fides Agency by the local press (La Prensa Austral).
"According to rumors, a Chinese or a Japanese is building a ship like Noah's Ark - said the Bishop -. While many believe that the world will end on December 21, we, as a Church, have no problem if people want to give away their belongings and leave their properties. I assure you that after December 21 we will pray for ever for them, because I am sure that after that date we will still be alive. If they want to go away, far away from here, they will only do a good thing by giving their property to the Church. "The Bishop concluded: "This story of the end of the world has no seriousness. I have already planned commitments until the end of next year, and if we die, it will be God’s will." In this southern part of Chile there is a lot of anxiety among the people on the subject, and many go to their pastors to ask what to do. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2012)
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet