AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - "Mary, help us grow in faith": thousands of faithful to the Marian pilgrimage in Cacheu
Bissau (Agenzia Fides) – On Saturday, December 8, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, there was the usual Guinean National Pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of the Nativity in Cacheu. In this Year of Faith, the motto of the pilgrimage was: "Mary, help us grow in faith." According to information sent to Fides Agency by the Curia of Bissau, in the afternoon of Friday 7 there was a march of young people from Capó in Cacheu (about 7 km), followed by Eucharistic Adoration in the Shrine. On the morning of 8 December pilgrims from various parishes of the two dioceses of Guinea-Bissau, came in procession to the Sanctuary, where the Holy Mass was celebrated presided by His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Zilli, Bishop of Bafatà, and concelebrated by His Exc. Mgr. José Camnate na Bissign, Bishop of Bissau, and by the Auxiliary Archbishop José Lampra Ca, as well as by many priests from from every corner of Guinea.
During his homily, Mgr. Zilli invited thousands of people gathered to place their hope in God, as Mary did, and said that "we are all called to holiness, to be immaculate, to live in communion with God". After pointing out that, in Jesus Christ, God makes us "ambassadors of reconciliation," the Bishop concluded: "Let us pray to God so that the 'dialogue for a new social contract', which is about to begin, helps us to heal the wounds of our wars, to bring harmony in families, to abandon the differences between the different groups or parties, to bring unity, brotherhood and peace in Guinea-Bissau. " After Mass, the Bishop of Bissau thanked all those present, the national and local authorities, volunteers and benefactors, the two priests of Portugal and Brazil who came to teach at the Major Seminary of Bissau. Mgr. Camnate na Bissign also thanked a group of Muslim leaders for their presence. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 10/12/2012)
- 2014-06-24 - Control and prevent outbreaks of cholera with a highly effective oral vaccine
- 2014-06-05 - Ebola outbreak in West Africa
- 2014-03-29 - Outbreak of Ebola: "There is no treatment or vaccine, the priority is to isolate suspected cases"
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/GUINEA – A campaign to vaccinate 400,000 children against measles
- 2014-02-04 - AFRICA/GUINEA – Guinea: a new African hub for cocaine destined to Europe?
- 2012-12-19 - A new strain of cholera continues to increase infection
- 2012-12-10 - "Mary, help us grow in faith": thousands of faithful to the Marian pilgrimage in Cacheu
- 2012-04-13 - Uncertain situation in Bissau after a coup attempt
- 2011-12-13 - Cholera cases are reduced thanks to enhanced prevention
- 2011-10-03 - President Condé urges the opposition to dialogue after the serious incidents of September 27