AFRICA/LIBYA - Christmas carols in different languages: a tradition of the Church in Libya
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - "It is a joy to be singing together waiting for Christmas" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, where this afternoon the small Catholic community will celebrate the feast of the "Candelight ". "This is a Christmas song event according to the different traditions. There are several choirs, in particular in African and Philippines, all of whom will sing Christmas in their own language," explains Mgr. Martinelli. "It is a tried and tested tradition of our community. It is called Candelight because it ends with switching off the lights and the lighting up of a candle by each participant. Then all together they sing Silent Night." "The community is composed mainly of foreign workers, even if families have so far been few, but we hope that with time they too can return to Libya," concluded Mgr.Martinelli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2012)
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi
- 2012-12-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Security is the top priority of my government," says the Libyan Premier
- 2012-12-17 AFRICA/LIBYA - The Libyan authorities decree the south "military zone" and close the borders with four States
- 2012-12-07 AFRICA/LIBYA - Christmas carols in different languages: a tradition of the Church in Libya
- 2012-09-12 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Do not offend the peoples religious sensibility," said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2012-08-10 AFRICA/LIBYA - Transfer of power from the CNT to the National Assembly which elects its President Mohamed al-Magariaf