AMERICA/HAITI - Microcredit for Haitian women in difficulty, but creative and tenacious
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) – Considered the main victims of exclusion as well as the campesinos and children, the women of Haiti have creativity and thanks to their work they support more than 43% of single-parent families where they are the breadwinner. According to information sent to Fides Agency by the General Curia of the Jesuits, the earthquake that devastated the island on January 12, 2010 particularly affected women. Hundreds of thousands of them, street vendors, domestic workers and laborers, suddenly found themselves without means of subsistence. Day after day, they see themselves forced to take refuge with their children in camps and face a major challenge: invent a way to support their own family.
Sensitive to the plight of these women, in October 2011, the Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) launched a project aimed at "improving the life conditions and the dignity of 2040 displaced women of Port au Prince, through strategies of self -economic livelihood and socio-cultural promotion. "A year after the implementation of the project in four camps of Port au Prince, 108 female-headed households have been trained in the management of small commerce and trade, receiving each a small amount borrowed from JRS. The project is just a small example of the path of hope that the Haitian displaced women are following after the earthquake with their creativity and tenacity, silent but effective. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 07/12/2012)
- 2014-12-09 - Foyer Bethlehem: “giving persons with disabilities what nature and human indifference have denied them”
- 2014-12-01 - A Commission to save the country from the crisis
- 2014-11-27 - The Church ready to intervene to ensure the country's political future
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation