AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Irregularities in the consultation of the Tipnis have been found
Trinidad (Agenzia Fides) - The Inter-institutional Commission formed by members of the Catholic Church, of the Permanent Assembly for Human Rights of Bolivia (APDHB) and the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), reported that the investigation into the TIPNIS (indigenous Territory and National Park Isiboro Secure) on the consultation carried out by the government of Evo Morales about the project of a road that passes through the indigenous territory, showed irregularities (see Fides 29/11/2012; 06/07/2012). Members of the Commission are, however, still at work in the region.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, Marcelo Ortega, representative of Caritas in Bolivia, speaking to Radio Fides Bolivia, said: "What we can say is that the irregularities have been identified, and unfortunately we dare even say that, in some cases, the protocol was not respected. These irregularities will be officially presented next week." The representative of Caritas recalled that the objective of this initiative is to observe and listen to people about the controversial process of consultation of the Tipnis, which must be completed as soon as possible. Meanwhile, both those who defend the government's proposal and those who reject it, for different reasons, have prepared "celebrations" for December 7, the date set by law in which the process has to be concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2012)
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace
- 2014-04-28 - Children sold for sexual and labor exploitation and for the sale of organs
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners
- 2014-03-29 - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
- 2014-03-27 - Bishops’ priorities: Indigenous and social pastoral, relaunch of the Permanent Mission
- 2014-03-17 - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying