AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Irregularities in the consultation of the Tipnis have been found
Trinidad (Agenzia Fides) - The Inter-institutional Commission formed by members of the Catholic Church, of the Permanent Assembly for Human Rights of Bolivia (APDHB) and the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), reported that the investigation into the TIPNIS (indigenous Territory and National Park Isiboro Secure) on the consultation carried out by the government of Evo Morales about the project of a road that passes through the indigenous territory, showed irregularities (see Fides 29/11/2012; 06/07/2012). Members of the Commission are, however, still at work in the region.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, Marcelo Ortega, representative of Caritas in Bolivia, speaking to Radio Fides Bolivia, said: "What we can say is that the irregularities have been identified, and unfortunately we dare even say that, in some cases, the protocol was not respected. These irregularities will be officially presented next week." The representative of Caritas recalled that the objective of this initiative is to observe and listen to people about the controversial process of consultation of the Tipnis, which must be completed as soon as possible. Meanwhile, both those who defend the government's proposal and those who reject it, for different reasons, have prepared "celebrations" for December 7, the date set by law in which the process has to be concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2012)
- 2014-11-18 - Towards CAM 5: Bolivia presents a preliminary work plan
- 2014-11-17 - A project to spread Afro culture among children of Yungas communities
- 2014-11-12 - The Eucharist is necessary for fraternal communion and mission
- 2014-11-11 - The law on education must be applied without discrimination
- 2014-11-07 - Education, communication and drug trafficking: the Bishops prepare three pastoral Letters
- 2014-10-29 - Solidarity and concrete evangelization: meeting of diocesan Directors of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2014-10-24 - 50% of children who are born with Chagas' disease do not receive any medical care
- 2014-10-11 - Mission Month: schools in Sucre also go on missions
- 2014-10-02 - The priority for the Auxiliary Bishop of Reyes: "Working to be a single Christian community"
- 2014-09-04 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Catholic Bishops of Bolivia and Peru take communications course “For a culture of encounter”