AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Irregularities in the consultation of the Tipnis have been found
Trinidad (Agenzia Fides) - The Inter-institutional Commission formed by members of the Catholic Church, of the Permanent Assembly for Human Rights of Bolivia (APDHB) and the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), reported that the investigation into the TIPNIS (indigenous Territory and National Park Isiboro Secure) on the consultation carried out by the government of Evo Morales about the project of a road that passes through the indigenous territory, showed irregularities (see Fides 29/11/2012; 06/07/2012). Members of the Commission are, however, still at work in the region.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, Marcelo Ortega, representative of Caritas in Bolivia, speaking to Radio Fides Bolivia, said: "What we can say is that the irregularities have been identified, and unfortunately we dare even say that, in some cases, the protocol was not respected. These irregularities will be officially presented next week." The representative of Caritas recalled that the objective of this initiative is to observe and listen to people about the controversial process of consultation of the Tipnis, which must be completed as soon as possible. Meanwhile, both those who defend the government's proposal and those who reject it, for different reasons, have prepared "celebrations" for December 7, the date set by law in which the process has to be concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2012)
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners
- 2014-03-29 - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
- 2014-03-27 - Bishops’ priorities: Indigenous and social pastoral, relaunch of the Permanent Mission
- 2014-03-17 - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying
- 2014-02-28 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Flood stricken native peoples in Beni destitute and starving
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Classrooms under water, 10 toilets and no water for more than 1000 pupils
- 2014-01-28 - National Emergency: 6000 homeless families due to rains and floods
- 2014-01-22 - The Andean Countries together for the XIII Regional Meeting of the Youth Ministry
- 2013-12-12 - Cardinal Terrazas urges to "combat violence, not with words, but with actions"
- 2013-12-03 - "We cannot live in fear, we must take the path of peace", says the Archbishop of Santa Cruz