AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Irregularities in the consultation of the Tipnis have been found
Trinidad (Agenzia Fides) - The Inter-institutional Commission formed by members of the Catholic Church, of the Permanent Assembly for Human Rights of Bolivia (APDHB) and the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), reported that the investigation into the TIPNIS (indigenous Territory and National Park Isiboro Secure) on the consultation carried out by the government of Evo Morales about the project of a road that passes through the indigenous territory, showed irregularities (see Fides 29/11/2012; 06/07/2012). Members of the Commission are, however, still at work in the region.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, Marcelo Ortega, representative of Caritas in Bolivia, speaking to Radio Fides Bolivia, said: "What we can say is that the irregularities have been identified, and unfortunately we dare even say that, in some cases, the protocol was not respected. These irregularities will be officially presented next week." The representative of Caritas recalled that the objective of this initiative is to observe and listen to people about the controversial process of consultation of the Tipnis, which must be completed as soon as possible. Meanwhile, both those who defend the government's proposal and those who reject it, for different reasons, have prepared "celebrations" for December 7, the date set by law in which the process has to be concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2012)
- 2015-11-20 - The Church strongly rejects the use of the image of the Pope for political activities
- 2015-11-13 - The Episcopal Conference: "We need and want a change"
- 2015-11-07 - The Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia towards the American Missionary Congress
- 2015-11-06 - 100th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference: V American Missionary Congress (CAM 5) is among the topics to be discussed
- 2015-10-15 - The Maryknoll Mission Center has been offering missionaries a valuable service for half a century
- 2015-10-12 - The Pope's message at the forum on climate: "Follow a fair and integral ecology"
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis