AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Irregularities in the consultation of the Tipnis have been found
Trinidad (Agenzia Fides) - The Inter-institutional Commission formed by members of the Catholic Church, of the Permanent Assembly for Human Rights of Bolivia (APDHB) and the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), reported that the investigation into the TIPNIS (indigenous Territory and National Park Isiboro Secure) on the consultation carried out by the government of Evo Morales about the project of a road that passes through the indigenous territory, showed irregularities (see Fides 29/11/2012; 06/07/2012). Members of the Commission are, however, still at work in the region.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, Marcelo Ortega, representative of Caritas in Bolivia, speaking to Radio Fides Bolivia, said: "What we can say is that the irregularities have been identified, and unfortunately we dare even say that, in some cases, the protocol was not respected. These irregularities will be officially presented next week." The representative of Caritas recalled that the objective of this initiative is to observe and listen to people about the controversial process of consultation of the Tipnis, which must be completed as soon as possible. Meanwhile, both those who defend the government's proposal and those who reject it, for different reasons, have prepared "celebrations" for December 7, the date set by law in which the process has to be concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2012)
- 2013-12-12 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Cardinal Terrazas urges to "combat violence, not with words, but with actions"
- 2013-12-03 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "We cannot live in fear, we must take the path of peace", says the Archbishop of Santa Cruz
- 2013-11-11 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Bishops' message at the end of the Year of Faith: "Faith is a treasure to live as children of God"
- 2013-11-06 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - During their 96th meeting, the Bolivian Bishops will close the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-24 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Two thousand children sentenced to life behind bars along with their imprisoned mothers
- 2013-10-24 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "It is time for human integration": conclusions of the meeting between Peru, Bolivia and Chile
- 2013-10-23 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Integration, youth and migration: Priorities of the tripartite meeting in Peru, Bolivia and Chile
- 2013-10-17 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Missionary Children: Third Congress with more than 2000 children in the area of Potosi
- 2013-09-06 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Peace and War, a key concern of the Church in Bolivia
- 2013-08-24 AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Violence and overcrowding in the prison of Palmasola: condemnation of Bishops