AFRICA/SUDAN - Raid against Islamist cell that was preparing to send fighters in Mali and Somalia
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - The Sudanese authorities announced they have dismantled a cell of Islamist extremists who were planning attacks on foreign diplomatic representatives and government officials. The security forces attacked a training camp of the Islamist group in the National Park of Al-Dinndir in the State of Sennar, on 30 November, arresting 25 members of the extremist cell and killing three others. Weapons, documents and electronic equipment were seized.
According to the Sudan Tribune, however, the death toll of the operation may be longer. In fact, the newspaper has collected testimonies stating that the battle between the security forces and extremists lasted several hours. The newspaper website also cites sources of the Sudanese intelligence to the effect that the group was conducting an intensive military training to join the Islamist groups who control the north of Mali and the Somali Shabaab.
Most of those arrested are college students aged between 19 and 25. Salafi groups have for years been particularly active in Sudanese universities, where they make proselytes among students. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2012)
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25 victims in the umpteenth bombing in the Nuba Mountains
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Chadian troops entered in Darfur, accusing a rebel movement
- 2013-04-05 AFRICA/SUDAN - The continuous bombing on villages in the Nuba Mountains aims to drive out the civilians
- 2013-03-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
- 2013-02-21 AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/SUDAN - Talks between Sudan and South Sudan have been postponed
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Stop the war in South Kordofan and Blue Nile" is what 350 African civil societies ask for
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SUDAN - Agreement between Sudan and South Sudan in Addis Ababa
- 2012-12-19 AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security