AFRICA/SUDAN - Raid against Islamist cell that was preparing to send fighters in Mali and Somalia
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - The Sudanese authorities announced they have dismantled a cell of Islamist extremists who were planning attacks on foreign diplomatic representatives and government officials. The security forces attacked a training camp of the Islamist group in the National Park of Al-Dinndir in the State of Sennar, on 30 November, arresting 25 members of the extremist cell and killing three others. Weapons, documents and electronic equipment were seized.
According to the Sudan Tribune, however, the death toll of the operation may be longer. In fact, the newspaper has collected testimonies stating that the battle between the security forces and extremists lasted several hours. The newspaper website also cites sources of the Sudanese intelligence to the effect that the group was conducting an intensive military training to join the Islamist groups who control the north of Mali and the Somali Shabaab.
Most of those arrested are college students aged between 19 and 25. Salafi groups have for years been particularly active in Sudanese universities, where they make proselytes among students. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2012)
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Let us not forget the suffering of the peoples of Sudan", says the Church
- 2014-01-10 AFRICA/SUDAN - Anemia, typhoid, diarrhea and cough are the causes for thousands of deaths in South Darfur
- 2013-12-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25% less aid to 6 million Sudanese in difficulty
- 2013-12-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - The military hospitals refuse to treat the militiamen
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Armed militiamen attack farmers and take turns raping women farmers in North Darfur
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - 7000 inhabitants in South Darfur do not have drinking water and basic services
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/SUDAN - Air raid on a school in the area of the Nuba Mountains: people killed and wounded
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Training courses for Sudanese teachers in refugee camps in Chad
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church