AFRICA/SUDAN - Raid against Islamist cell that was preparing to send fighters in Mali and Somalia
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - The Sudanese authorities announced they have dismantled a cell of Islamist extremists who were planning attacks on foreign diplomatic representatives and government officials. The security forces attacked a training camp of the Islamist group in the National Park of Al-Dinndir in the State of Sennar, on 30 November, arresting 25 members of the extremist cell and killing three others. Weapons, documents and electronic equipment were seized.
According to the Sudan Tribune, however, the death toll of the operation may be longer. In fact, the newspaper has collected testimonies stating that the battle between the security forces and extremists lasted several hours. The newspaper website also cites sources of the Sudanese intelligence to the effect that the group was conducting an intensive military training to join the Islamist groups who control the north of Mali and the Somali Shabaab.
Most of those arrested are college students aged between 19 and 25. Salafi groups have for years been particularly active in Sudanese universities, where they make proselytes among students. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2012)
- 2014-11-12 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Alarm: haemorrhagic fever in Southern Kordofan
- 2014-10-01 - Epidemics and food shortages in refugee camps in Kass, South Darfur
- 2014-09-24 - Severe floods are affecting tens of thousands of new refugees in Darfur
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Appeal for embargo on arms entering South Sudan, grave humanitarian crisis impending
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum
- 2014-07-09 - Torrential rains worsen the living conditions of hundreds of thousands of displaced persons
- 2014-07-02 - Humanitarian crisis and lack of investment in social sectors affect 70% of children
- 2014-06-25 - Over 4,500 homeless children in the capital of South Darfur
- 2014-06-02 - "The condemnation of Mariam Yehya Ibrahim is a direct persecution of Christians " say the Sudanese Christian Churches