AFRICA/SUDAN - Raid against Islamist cell that was preparing to send fighters in Mali and Somalia
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - The Sudanese authorities announced they have dismantled a cell of Islamist extremists who were planning attacks on foreign diplomatic representatives and government officials. The security forces attacked a training camp of the Islamist group in the National Park of Al-Dinndir in the State of Sennar, on 30 November, arresting 25 members of the extremist cell and killing three others. Weapons, documents and electronic equipment were seized.
According to the Sudan Tribune, however, the death toll of the operation may be longer. In fact, the newspaper has collected testimonies stating that the battle between the security forces and extremists lasted several hours. The newspaper website also cites sources of the Sudanese intelligence to the effect that the group was conducting an intensive military training to join the Islamist groups who control the north of Mali and the Somali Shabaab.
Most of those arrested are college students aged between 19 and 25. Salafi groups have for years been particularly active in Sudanese universities, where they make proselytes among students. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2012)
- 2015-08-05 - Rain and wind storms are causing severe damage in South Darfur
- 2015-07-07 - The Church organizes schools for South Sudanese refugees in Khartoum
- 2015-06-15 - "Assurance in South Africa: President Bashir will leave", said a spokesman in Khartoum
- 2015-04-28 - Omar Hassan al-Bashir re-elected President with 94% of the votes
- 2015-04-22 - Outbreak of measles in Darfur: cases continue to multiply
- 2015-04-15 - 70 thousand bags of Carcinogenic Sugar distributed in South Darfur
- 2015-04-13 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Elections contested by the opposition begin, while tension increases with South Sudan
- 2015-02-25 - The number of homeless children, 700 000 live on the streets of the capital
- 2015-02-12 - Hunger and diseases for the displaced persons in Darfur: food, medicines and basic necessities are needed
- 2015-01-30 - Humanitarian aid denied in conflict areas: MSF forced to close activities