AFRICA/DRC - Two hundred thousand children at risk in armed conflicts in Goma
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - In the two Congolese provinces of Kivu there are more than 1 million 600 thousand internally displaced persons (IDPs). The recent arrival of the rebels of the M23 in the eastern city of Goma has raised great concern about the humanitarian consequences in a region already plagued by armed conflicts, displacement and attacks against civilians. One of the major worries of humanitarian agencies in the region concerns 60 000 residents of the refugee camp of Kanyarucinya, in the north of Goma, just before the M23 group reached the outskirts of the city. The camp is one of the five scattered around Goma, which has a total population of approximately 95,000 people. The Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) and Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has issued a warning for displaced children who are faced with an increased risk of rape, abuse and recruitment. The young refugee children, particularly males in North Kivu, are particularly vulnerable to recruitment by armed groups. According to the NGO World Vision, about 200 000 minors are at risk in Goma. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 04/12/2012)
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/ RD CONGO - “Integrate Framework Agreement for Congo” say NGOs