AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Permanent Mission and Evangelization of the family: at the beginning of the Year of Faith denunciation of violence against indigenous peoples
Caacupé (Agenzia Fides) - On the occasion of the novena in preparation for the feast of the Virgen de Caacupé, the main Marian devotion in Paraguay which is celebrated on December 8, in the Basilica of Caacupé (about 30 km from Asuncion) where the faithful go to pilgrimage from all over the country, on Sunday, December 2 the Year of Faith began. According to information sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops of Paraguay chose as the theme for this Year of Faith: "The Permanent Mission in Paraguay: To evangelize the family."
The celebration was presided by the Apostolic Vicar of Pilcomayo, His Exc. Mgr. Lucio Alfert, O.M.I. who focused in particular on the serious situation of the families of indigenous peoples of whom he is Pastor. On their behalf he denounced the difficult reality in which they live, the violence carried out on behalf of those who take away land from these peoples. Many of these areas have become contaminated by agro-toxins and have been declared non-inhabitable land. Mgr. Alfert reported that this situation does not allow an indigenous family to lead a normal life, forced to flee in search of other lands. Unfortunately, many indigenous people end up living in tents along provincial roads, begging in order to survive. Indigenous ethnic groups such as Nivaclé, Guarani Ñandeva, Tobas Qom y Maka, attended the celebration held on December 2.
The Vicariate of Pilcomayo is located in the western region of Paraguay, in the area called the South American Chaco, an area of about 125,000 square kilometers with a population of about 84,500 inhabitants, of which 28,000 are indigenous. The Chaco is one of the least populated due to its environmental and climatic conditions: high summer temperatures up to 50 ° C, and very low in winter, up to 7 degrees below zero. Among the main ethnic groups in the area: Nivaclé, Guarani, Guarani Ñandeva, Enenlhet (Toba Maskoy) Enlhet (Lengua), Ayoreo, Sanapaná, Manjui and Angaité. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/12/2012)
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected