VATICAN - Day of the Disabled: "The world of rights cannot be the privilege for the few, the strong and successful"
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - There are over one thousand million people with disabilities around the world, 15% of the entire population in the world. Of these, nearly 200 million suffer from very severe disabilities and, if there is no real commitment on behalf of everyone the situation will deteriorate further. Chronic diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and mental disorders are in fact increasing, proper health care is lacking, and the average age of the population is growing.
On the occasion of today's International Day of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which is celebrated today on December 3, the President of the Pontifical Council for Health Care Workers, His Exc. Mgr. Zygmunt Zimowski, said in his message that "the Church intends to express her closeness to those who are suffering from various forms of limitations- physical or mental. " "In the face of various diseases related to disability - the Archbishop says - it is always useful to raise awareness on the concepts of dignity, rights and well-being of our brothers and sisters, raising awareness of the benefits that may result from their integration in the various aspects of social life. The world rights, in fact, cannot be the prerogative of the few, the strong and successful."
"With new eyes, disability must therefore be taken as an expression of the uniqueness of each person," continues the President of the Pontifical Council. "It is necessary to try to promote the integral good of persons with disabilities, giving them the necessary support and the necessary protection, even if it may result in a greater financial and social burden. The Church, in particular, will be part of this important effort, with her closeness, illuminating them with the light of faith and the hope that comes from solidarity and love " concludes Mgr. Zimowski. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 03/12/2012)
- 2013-05-20 VATICAN - The Pope launches "Missio", an "App" for smartphones with Fides news
- 2013-05-18 VATICAN - "The PMS, concrete sign for the special attention to the young Churches," Cardinal Filoni at the audience with Pope Francis
- 2013-05-18 VATICAN - The Holy Father's Speech addressed to the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-14 VATICAN - "There is need to give renewal to the missionary animation of the Churches of ancient tradition," says the President of the Pontifical Mission Societies National Directors
- 2013-05-13 VATICAN - "It is necessary to review the methods of evangelization": Cardinal Filoni at the Assembly of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-08 VATICAN - Annual General Meeting of the Pontifical Mission Societies, from May 13 to 18
- 2013-04-22 VATICAN - "Finding the right and peaceful paths to overcome the crisis," Pope's appeal for Venezuela
- 2013-04-18 VATICAN - Cardinal Filoni: dialogue between religions in Asia "for the common good"
- 2013-04-17 VATICAN - Pope Francis: to evangelize, baptism is enough
- 2013-04-15 VATICAN - Listening to Asia: Pathways for faith, societies and religions, between tradition and contemporaneity