ASIA/HOLY LAND - Bishop Shomali: the houses of the Israeli government in the Occupied Territories is a challenge and a retaliation after the UN vote
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - "The decision to build 3 thousand housing units in East Jerusalem is a retaliation after the recognition of Palestine as a non-member State of the UN. It expresses a clear rejection and a challenge respect to the step taken by the the Assembly of the United Nations, as well as representing a kind of outburst, an instinctive reaction." So says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem. "The recognition took place at the UN with broad consensus of the international community," stresses the Bishop, "it implies that the recognized Palestinian State would be situated within the borders in force before June 1967. So the situation of that 22 percent of Territories that are occupied and not 'fought over', as the terminology used by Israeli politicians suggests, should not be absolutely changed."
The new housing units should stand in an area on the road that leads from Jerusalem to Jericho and to the Dead Sea, at the beginning of the Judean desert. "It is clear that there is no urgency to build new houses there. This policy, which damages the solution of the two States, gives rise to opposition from politicians even in Israel, and could cause embarrassment to the United States, " notes Mgr. Shomali. With regards to the danger of isolation that Israel could face, according to the Palestinian Bishop "the Israeli government will not feel isolated, until it has the unconditional support of the United States." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/12/2012).
- 2015-05-25 - The Society of St. Yves is organizing a study day on the confiscation of land in the West Bank
- 2015-05-16 - Pax Christi International recalls the "Nakba" in Bethlehem
- 2015-05-05 - Christians of the Holy Land are preparing for the canonization of Sister Mariam Bawardi and Sister Marie Alphonsine Ghattas
- 2015-04-14 - Patriarch Kirill: The Russian Orthodox Church supports the creation of the Palestinian State
- 2015-04-10 - In Jordan and Palestine Catholics and Orthodox celebrate Easter according to the Julian Calendar
- 2015-04-08 - Caritas Jerusalem will run a "mobile clinic" for the inhabitants of the Gaza Strip
- 2015-03-23 - Palestinian President invited to the canonization on 17 May
- 2015-03-12 - The Catholic Bishops: necessity to rebuild Gaza, support schools, help refugees and immigrants
- 2015-03-09 - Liturgy at the Holy Sepulchre to commemorate the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-02-26 - Arson attack against the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Jerusalem