ASIA/INDIA - Elections in Madhya Pradesh: yes to the commitment of Christians in politics
Bhopal (Agenzia Fides) - Christians are called to commit themselves to contribute to building a truly democratic nation that respects dignity and human rights, based on the values of fraternity, equality, common good: is what was said by more than a thousand Christian leaders of the state of Madhya Pradesh (central India) during a forum held recently in Bhopal. As local sources of Fides refer, the forum was organized by the ecumenical federation "Isai Maha Sangh" in preparation for the legislative elections, scheduled in the state in 2013.
Between March and October of 2013, ten Indian states will renew their parliamentary assemblies. Of these, some important and populous states such as Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Rajasthan, the district of the capital Delhi, Chhatisgarh; other states in Northeast India like Mizoram and Meghalaya, or a state, still troubled, such as Jammu and Kashmir.
In some of these states religious minorities find themselves in difficult circumstances or suffer pressure from radical Hindu groups. This is why the participants during the Bhopal meeting actively discussed on how to start programs to identify and allow new Christian leaders to grow, and can assert themselves in the political scene. The urgent need to motivate Christians was highlighted. Sujeet Wiliams, President of the ecumenical forum "Isai Maha Sangh," told Fides: "In the present scenario, the presence of Christian leaders in politics is weak: to be significant, Christians will have to join together, overcoming religious differences."
The summit was also attended by leaders of all the parties of Madhya Pradesh, such as the Congress Party, the "Bhartya Janata Party," the "Communist Party of India", the Indian community Party (Marxist), the Jantadal United. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 03/12/2012)
- 2013-06-12 ASIA/INDIA - More scholarships for tribal Christians and Dalits: the President of India’s appeal
- 2013-06-07 ASIA/INDIA - Twenty pastors of the Baptist Church attacked by Hindu extremists
- 2013-06-04 ASIA/INDIA - Over 19 million faithful Indians pray, united with the Pope, for the respect of women in India
- 2013-05-24 ASIA/INDIA - A new future for Christians in Karnataka
- 2013-05-22 ASIA/INDIA - Christians will bring aid to Syrian refugees during a journey of solidarity
- 2013-05-16 ASIA/INDIA - Congress of catechists from Orissa, agents of evangelization in the Year of Faith
- 2013-05-15 ASIA/INDIA - Converted to Christ from Hinduism: two families persecuted in Orissa
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/INDIA - Allegations of "forced conversions": Hindu extremists against Christians in Kerala
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/INDIA - Two missionaries who distributed biblical pamphlets: beaten and arrested
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/INDIA - The country has the highest number of child deaths within the first 24 hours of life