ASIA/HOLY LAND - Archbishop Maroun Lahham: Palestinian Christians support the request to the United Nations by President Abu Mazen
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - "The Holy Land Churches unanimously support the Palestinian National Authority's accomplishment. The soul and prayers of the Holy Land's Christians ask for this step to be taken. "So Archbishop Maroun Laham, Latin Patriarchal Vicar General in Jordan said in a statement to Fides Agency, about the expectations of the Christian community regarding the request for recognition Palestine as a non-member observer State in the UN that tomorrow will be submitted to the UN by President Abu Mazen.
Mgr. Lahham believes "every step towards the recognition of the Palestinian State is good. Despite all the obstacles, it is undeniable that Palestinians have come a long way since the days when they were just refugees without a homeland. " According to the Archbishop, the recognition of the Palestinian state as an Observer at the UN will have significant practical consequences. "For example - remarks Mgr. Lahham - Palestine will be able to turn to the International Criminal Court at The Hague to denounce the attacks against the human rights of Palestinians. Fom a domestic point of view, as President Abu Mazen said, Palestinian's admission to the UN will benefit reconciliation in the country and strengthen the National Authority. As is known, Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal, telephoned President Abbas to express his support for the initiative. "
Between Palestinian Christians optimism prevails on the success of the UN vote. The Palestinian request is also supported by France, Russia and China. "If things go as they should, on Sunday I will celebrate a Mass of thanksgiving, inviting representatives of the Palestinian Authority," said to Fides Agency Fr. Raed Abusahliah, a pastor in Ramallah. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2012).
- 2014-04-09 - Games, movies, songs and prayers to prepare Catholic school students for Easter
- 2014-04-03 - The Catholic Bishops: the repetition of the word persecution of Christians plays into the hands of extremists
- 2014-03-21 - The new Muslim mayor: I want the Annunciation to be proclaimed a civic feast in Nazareth
- 2014-03-07 - Caritas Jerusalem resolves water emergencies in two Palestinian cities
- 2014-03-05 - Patriarch Twal: the Pope's visit will boost the peace process
- 2014-02-28 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Attack on Catholic parish in Gaza
- 2014-02-25 - Syria, Gaza, Egypt: Holy Land Custodians launch initiatives to face emergency
- 2014-02-20 - The Latin Patriarchate schools relaunch their educational mission
- 2014-02-19 - Patriarch Twal: defending the Palestinians did not mean being against Israel
- 2014-02-04 - Report on the pro-Gaza interventions of the Pontifical Mission have been published