ASIA/HOLY LAND - Archbishop Maroun Lahham: Palestinian Christians support the request to the United Nations by President Abu Mazen
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - "The Holy Land Churches unanimously support the Palestinian National Authority's accomplishment. The soul and prayers of the Holy Land's Christians ask for this step to be taken. "So Archbishop Maroun Laham, Latin Patriarchal Vicar General in Jordan said in a statement to Fides Agency, about the expectations of the Christian community regarding the request for recognition Palestine as a non-member observer State in the UN that tomorrow will be submitted to the UN by President Abu Mazen.
Mgr. Lahham believes "every step towards the recognition of the Palestinian State is good. Despite all the obstacles, it is undeniable that Palestinians have come a long way since the days when they were just refugees without a homeland. " According to the Archbishop, the recognition of the Palestinian state as an Observer at the UN will have significant practical consequences. "For example - remarks Mgr. Lahham - Palestine will be able to turn to the International Criminal Court at The Hague to denounce the attacks against the human rights of Palestinians. Fom a domestic point of view, as President Abu Mazen said, Palestinian's admission to the UN will benefit reconciliation in the country and strengthen the National Authority. As is known, Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal, telephoned President Abbas to express his support for the initiative. "
Between Palestinian Christians optimism prevails on the success of the UN vote. The Palestinian request is also supported by France, Russia and China. "If things go as they should, on Sunday I will celebrate a Mass of thanksgiving, inviting representatives of the Palestinian Authority," said to Fides Agency Fr. Raed Abusahliah, a pastor in Ramallah. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2012).
- 2015-04-14 - Patriarch Kirill: The Russian Orthodox Church supports the creation of the Palestinian State
- 2015-04-10 - In Jordan and Palestine Catholics and Orthodox celebrate Easter according to the Julian Calendar
- 2015-04-08 - Caritas Jerusalem will run a "mobile clinic" for the inhabitants of the Gaza Strip
- 2015-03-23 - Palestinian President invited to the canonization on 17 May
- 2015-03-12 - The Catholic Bishops: necessity to rebuild Gaza, support schools, help refugees and immigrants
- 2015-03-09 - Liturgy at the Holy Sepulchre to commemorate the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-02-26 - Arson attack against the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Jerusalem
- 2015-02-12 - Palestinian Mayors: the Wall in the Cremisan Valley will suffocate the presence of Christians
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"