ASIA/HOLY LAND - Archbishop Maroun Lahham: Palestinian Christians support the request to the United Nations by President Abu Mazen
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - "The Holy Land Churches unanimously support the Palestinian National Authority's accomplishment. The soul and prayers of the Holy Land's Christians ask for this step to be taken. "So Archbishop Maroun Laham, Latin Patriarchal Vicar General in Jordan said in a statement to Fides Agency, about the expectations of the Christian community regarding the request for recognition Palestine as a non-member observer State in the UN that tomorrow will be submitted to the UN by President Abu Mazen.
Mgr. Lahham believes "every step towards the recognition of the Palestinian State is good. Despite all the obstacles, it is undeniable that Palestinians have come a long way since the days when they were just refugees without a homeland. " According to the Archbishop, the recognition of the Palestinian state as an Observer at the UN will have significant practical consequences. "For example - remarks Mgr. Lahham - Palestine will be able to turn to the International Criminal Court at The Hague to denounce the attacks against the human rights of Palestinians. Fom a domestic point of view, as President Abu Mazen said, Palestinian's admission to the UN will benefit reconciliation in the country and strengthen the National Authority. As is known, Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal, telephoned President Abbas to express his support for the initiative. "
Between Palestinian Christians optimism prevails on the success of the UN vote. The Palestinian request is also supported by France, Russia and China. "If things go as they should, on Sunday I will celebrate a Mass of thanksgiving, inviting representatives of the Palestinian Authority," said to Fides Agency Fr. Raed Abusahliah, a pastor in Ramallah. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2012).
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year
- 2014-12-02 - Cremisan case: Palestinian mayors and Catholic organizations reject the alternatives proposed by the Israeli government
- 2014-11-21 - Children without citizenship: the question of Palestinian children not registered reopens
- 2014-11-20 - Thousands of children from Gaza are disabled because of wars
- 2014-11-19 - Representatives of all religions visit the synagogue attacked. Patriarch Twal: No more violence in places of worship
- 2014-11-18 - Latin Patriarch Twal after the attack against the synagogue in Jerusalem: stop the endless spiral of revenge
- 2014-11-11 - The Heads of Churches in Jerusalem visit the Esplanade of the Mosques
- 2014-11-07 - The Heads of Churches: no one must violate the "status quo" on the Holy Sites of Jerusalem
- 2014-11-06 - Two future Saints for the Holy Land
- 2014-10-24 - Ecology, "common ground" for the three Abrahamic religions