ASIA/HOLY LAND - Archbishop Maroun Lahham: Palestinian Christians support the request to the United Nations by President Abu Mazen
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - "The Holy Land Churches unanimously support the Palestinian National Authority's accomplishment. The soul and prayers of the Holy Land's Christians ask for this step to be taken. "So Archbishop Maroun Laham, Latin Patriarchal Vicar General in Jordan said in a statement to Fides Agency, about the expectations of the Christian community regarding the request for recognition Palestine as a non-member observer State in the UN that tomorrow will be submitted to the UN by President Abu Mazen.
Mgr. Lahham believes "every step towards the recognition of the Palestinian State is good. Despite all the obstacles, it is undeniable that Palestinians have come a long way since the days when they were just refugees without a homeland. " According to the Archbishop, the recognition of the Palestinian state as an Observer at the UN will have significant practical consequences. "For example - remarks Mgr. Lahham - Palestine will be able to turn to the International Criminal Court at The Hague to denounce the attacks against the human rights of Palestinians. Fom a domestic point of view, as President Abu Mazen said, Palestinian's admission to the UN will benefit reconciliation in the country and strengthen the National Authority. As is known, Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal, telephoned President Abbas to express his support for the initiative. "
Between Palestinian Christians optimism prevails on the success of the UN vote. The Palestinian request is also supported by France, Russia and China. "If things go as they should, on Sunday I will celebrate a Mass of thanksgiving, inviting representatives of the Palestinian Authority," said to Fides Agency Fr. Raed Abusahliah, a pastor in Ramallah. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2012).
- 2014-07-24 - Caritas Jerusalem rescues thousands of Muslims, who have taken shelter in schools and churches in Gaza
- 2014-07-22 - Patriarch Emeritus Sabbah: there is no war in Gaza, but a useless massacre
- 2014-07-18 - The Israeli army enters Gaza. Pope's message to the local Catholic community
- 2014-07-17 - Gaza, three missiles close to the Catholic parish. Scuffle to look for food during the "humanitarian truce"
- 2014-07-15 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Gaza, proposal of truce. The director of Caritas Jerusalem: it is urgent to intervene immediately to assist victims
- 2014-07-10 - Third day of raids on Gaza. Caritas Jerusalem: security is not achieved by killing innocent children
- 2014-07-09 - Escalation in Gaza. Justice and Peace: "collective punishment" is inflicted on the Palestinian people
- 2014-07-04 - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: there is also a political use of the drug market in the Holy City
- 2014-07-02 - A young Palestinian kidnapped and killed. Patriarch Twal: Stop human sacrifice
- 2014-07-01 - Father David Neuhaus SJ: sorrow and grief over the killing of the three teens, it is necessary to put an end to the cycle of violence