AMERICA/BRAZIL - Concern over the social consequences of the upcoming international events: the Bishops study the situation
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The members of CONSEP (Council for the Pastoral care in its acronym in Portuguese), which has the task of monitoring the implementation of the general guidelines about the evangelizing action of the Church in Brazil, dedicated Tuesday’s meeting, on November 27 to the national and global situation. The Brazilian Commission for Justice and Peace (CBJP) and consultant policy experts offered their contributions to the analysis of the major economic, political and cultural events in the world and the country. This analysis is carried out systematically on the occasion of meetings of the Commissions of the CNBB and of the General Assembly of Bishops, and is always available on the website of the Episcopal Conference, even if it is not an official document.
Among the significant events, the focus was placed on the World football Cup and the Olympics, with specific questions on the works, the risks that these events may have on the population and real earnings that will be given to the country. The delicate situation of the movement of people who occupy the areas now used for the construction of sports centers was analyzed, and a major concern is the risk of an increase in sex tourism during these events. The Bishops received further details on the last CNBB meeting, attended by the Prime Minister of the General Secretariat of the Presidency, Gilberto Carvalho.
The note sent to Fides Agency by the CNBB concerning the meeting of CONSEP concludes by emphasizing the importance of "explicitly recognizing the existence and the role of faith-based organizations, and other organizations related to the Church, as the protagonists of active participation in society for their power of organization, mobilization and autonomy in the process of social development and democracy in the country." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2012)
- 2015-02-25 - Mobilization for political Reform and transparent elections continues
- 2015-02-18 - Fraternity Campaign 2015 starts today, theme "Brotherhood: Church and Society "
- 2015-02-16 - Ten years ago the assassination of Sr Dorothy Stang, a seed which is bearing copious fruit
- 2015-02-06 - Missionary organizations at work in 2015: Permanent formation and suburbs
- 2015-01-28 - Missionaries study "concentration and manipulation of the media"
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform