AMERICA/BRAZIL - Concern over the social consequences of the upcoming international events: the Bishops study the situation
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The members of CONSEP (Council for the Pastoral care in its acronym in Portuguese), which has the task of monitoring the implementation of the general guidelines about the evangelizing action of the Church in Brazil, dedicated Tuesday’s meeting, on November 27 to the national and global situation. The Brazilian Commission for Justice and Peace (CBJP) and consultant policy experts offered their contributions to the analysis of the major economic, political and cultural events in the world and the country. This analysis is carried out systematically on the occasion of meetings of the Commissions of the CNBB and of the General Assembly of Bishops, and is always available on the website of the Episcopal Conference, even if it is not an official document.
Among the significant events, the focus was placed on the World football Cup and the Olympics, with specific questions on the works, the risks that these events may have on the population and real earnings that will be given to the country. The delicate situation of the movement of people who occupy the areas now used for the construction of sports centers was analyzed, and a major concern is the risk of an increase in sex tourism during these events. The Bishops received further details on the last CNBB meeting, attended by the Prime Minister of the General Secretariat of the Presidency, Gilberto Carvalho.
The note sent to Fides Agency by the CNBB concerning the meeting of CONSEP concludes by emphasizing the importance of "explicitly recognizing the existence and the role of faith-based organizations, and other organizations related to the Church, as the protagonists of active participation in society for their power of organization, mobilization and autonomy in the process of social development and democracy in the country." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2012)
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"
- 2014-09-02 - Bishops’ Conference promotes television debate between candidates for Presidency
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons