AMERICA/BRAZIL - Concern over the social consequences of the upcoming international events: the Bishops study the situation
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The members of CONSEP (Council for the Pastoral care in its acronym in Portuguese), which has the task of monitoring the implementation of the general guidelines about the evangelizing action of the Church in Brazil, dedicated Tuesday’s meeting, on November 27 to the national and global situation. The Brazilian Commission for Justice and Peace (CBJP) and consultant policy experts offered their contributions to the analysis of the major economic, political and cultural events in the world and the country. This analysis is carried out systematically on the occasion of meetings of the Commissions of the CNBB and of the General Assembly of Bishops, and is always available on the website of the Episcopal Conference, even if it is not an official document.
Among the significant events, the focus was placed on the World football Cup and the Olympics, with specific questions on the works, the risks that these events may have on the population and real earnings that will be given to the country. The delicate situation of the movement of people who occupy the areas now used for the construction of sports centers was analyzed, and a major concern is the risk of an increase in sex tourism during these events. The Bishops received further details on the last CNBB meeting, attended by the Prime Minister of the General Secretariat of the Presidency, Gilberto Carvalho.
The note sent to Fides Agency by the CNBB concerning the meeting of CONSEP concludes by emphasizing the importance of "explicitly recognizing the existence and the role of faith-based organizations, and other organizations related to the Church, as the protagonists of active participation in society for their power of organization, mobilization and autonomy in the process of social development and democracy in the country." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2012)
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 AMERICA/BRAZIL - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil