AMERICA/PERU - A program of support for more than 6000 street children and adolescents has started
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Thanks to the program called Llachay, which aims to give back the rights of street children and adolescents who live in situations at risk, 6,365 children throughout Peru will be taken care of until 2013.
The government initiative started from Lima and Iquitos where the problem is particularly serious. In 2013, the program will start in Arequipa, Ica, Cusco, Chincha, Abancay, Juliaca, Huanuco, Huancavelica, Pasco, Ayacucho, Moquegua and Tacna. The government, thanks to this initiative, aims to strengthen the commitment of parents in the education of their children and provide financial contributions to make it possible for families to start small activities that allow them to survive. In addition, if the children do not know where to go after school, there are reception centers where they can do their homework until their parents finish work. Llachay will offer sports scholarships and vocational formation, will distribute school kits, materials for starting small businesses, shelter homes, free legal assistance. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2012)
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps