AMERICA/PERU - A program of support for more than 6000 street children and adolescents has started
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - Thanks to the program called Llachay, which aims to give back the rights of street children and adolescents who live in situations at risk, 6,365 children throughout Peru will be taken care of until 2013.
The government initiative started from Lima and Iquitos where the problem is particularly serious. In 2013, the program will start in Arequipa, Ica, Cusco, Chincha, Abancay, Juliaca, Huanuco, Huancavelica, Pasco, Ayacucho, Moquegua and Tacna. The government, thanks to this initiative, aims to strengthen the commitment of parents in the education of their children and provide financial contributions to make it possible for families to start small activities that allow them to survive. In addition, if the children do not know where to go after school, there are reception centers where they can do their homework until their parents finish work. Llachay will offer sports scholarships and vocational formation, will distribute school kits, materials for starting small businesses, shelter homes, free legal assistance. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2012)
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation