AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Malnutrition and lack of health care and hygiene for children who live with their parents in prisons
La Paz (Agenzia Fides) - Bolivia is one of the few countries where inmates can live in cells with their children. It is an irregular situation which, besides being dangerous for the integrity of children who are subjected to deficiencies in health care, education and food, it penalizes their normal development. In fact, in addition to having to live with criminals in an environment full of violence, most children eat just once a day. There is no fund to cover their food needs, and if the parents do not produce an income, they have to settle for leftovers. In addition, the children have to wait at least two weeks to be able to wash themselves, there is lack of qualified medical assistance, and many of them sleep under their parents’ bed or in the corners better equipped for the purpose. There are no spaces for recreation or school material for them to study. Hundreds of children are thus condemned to live among violence, projected towards a future of suffering compounded by malnutrition that in the young ones under 5 years of age, causes irreversible damage, delays in physical and mental growth. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 27/11/2012)
- 2015-11-20 - The Church strongly rejects the use of the image of the Pope for political activities
- 2015-11-13 - The Episcopal Conference: "We need and want a change"
- 2015-11-07 - The Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia towards the American Missionary Congress
- 2015-11-06 - 100th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference: V American Missionary Congress (CAM 5) is among the topics to be discussed
- 2015-10-15 - The Maryknoll Mission Center has been offering missionaries a valuable service for half a century
- 2015-10-12 - The Pope's message at the forum on climate: "Follow a fair and integral ecology"
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis