AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A " Ministry of the Family ": the Church’s request to the government
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - The Dominican Episcopal Conference (DEC) and the National Commission for the Pastoral Care of the Family have asked the Dominican government to establish the "Ministry of the Family," which manages all the institutions responsible for the implementation of public policies regarding this vital and fundamental unit of society.
The proposal is contained in a document signed by Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, which was read during a Mass celebrated by the Cardinal at the end of the march "A step for my family." The march was held on Sunday, November 25 in Santo Domingo, with the participation of thousands of people, on the occasion of the month of the family, and it was also attended by Vice-President Margarita Cedeño de Fernández, and the first lady of the Republic, Cándida Montilla de Medina .
After stressing that "the family should be the main protagonist of the public policy of the State", the Dominican Bishops and the Catholic population suggest that the Ministries of Women and Youth, the National Council for Children (Conami) and for the disabled (Conadis ), such as the Institute for the protection of the Elderly and the system of protection of children and adolescents, among other public sector services, are grouped into a new institution that could be called "Ministry of the Family." The note sent to Fides Agency emphasizes the Cardinal’s words: "As a Church we commit ourselves to live as true families and to make known the great and irreplaceable values of the Christian family." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/11/2012)
- 2014-03-12 - Christian Churches committed to education, health and rights of 30 000 children
- 2014-02-07 - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
- 2013-12-02 - "The Church is ready to mediate", the Nunzio's intervention on the issue of Haitian immigrants
- 2013-11-07 - The Church in defense of creation and against the destruction of natural heritage
- 2013-11-04 - Nearly two children die every day in the hospital in Santiago
- 2013-10-29 - Every day from 8 to 20 children are admitted to hospital for dengue
- 2013-10-25 - Revocation of citizenship to children of undocumented Haitians: "We hope to find a way out" hopes the Bishop of Barahona
- 2013-10-07 - AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – The trafficking of Haitian children towards the Dominican State increases
- 2013-10-07 - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
- 2013-09-12 - Diocese of San Juan de la Maguana: 60 Years lived with a missionary spirit