ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Korean-Japanese Bishops discuss the reduction of dependence on nuclear power
Daegu (Agenzia Fides) - The 18th meeting of Korean-Japanese Bishops’ Exchange Meeting was held with the theme of "Nuclear Power Phase-out" in Gyeongju city of the Daegu Archdiocese in Korea from November 13 to 15. According to information sent to Fides Agency by the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Korea (CBCK), along with Most Rev. Peter Kang U-il, Bishop of Cheju, President of the CBCK, and Archbishop of Osaka,Most Rev. Leo Jun Ikenaga, President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Japan (CBCJ), about 40 bishops and priests participated in this meeting.
On the first day of work, Rev.Thomas Seigel Michael (Nanzan University Institute for Social Ethics) gave a lecture on "Theological Considerations concerning Nuclear Power Plants." He stressed the need to develop projects of sustainable energy, such as wind and solar energy, so as to reduce our dependence on nuclear energy.
Rev. Paul Park Hong-pyo, priest of the Diocese of Wonju and representative of the Committee against the Construction of Samcheok Nuclear Power Plant highlighted that residents want to live in a clean and peaceful environment and thus the nuclear power phase-out is a matter of life itself, not just politics.
On November 14, the bishops visited the Wolsung Nuclear Power Plant in Gyeongju and heard an explanation about the operation and management state of the nuclear power plant. Following the visit, the bishops celebrated Mass at the Yangnam Church. In his homily, the Most Rev. Thaddeus Cho Hwan-kil, Archbishop of Daegu, said that we should strive for nuclear power phase-out in order to safeguard the integrity of creation and the peaceful life of the earth which God has given to mankind.
On the last day, the Bishops had time to discuss the themes on nuclear power phase-out in group and then in plenary session. The next meeting is scheduled for 12 to 14 November 2013, in Japan. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/11/2012)
- 2015-09-26 - Prayers for peace in the Church closer to the demilitarized zone
- 2015-09-23 - Young people on a mission with a smartphone
- 2015-09-01 - Young friends of the environment, starting from small daily practices
- 2015-07-24 - ASIA/KOREA – Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Suwon
- 2015-06-23 - A new United Nations Office for Human Rights focused on North Korea, opens in Seoul
- 2015-06-19 - Prayer and fasting for peace and reconciliation in Korea
- 2015-04-10 - From the disaster in Sewol, a seed of peace and resurrection
- 2015-03-11 - Bishops: "Be a poor Church for the poor"
- 2014-11-12 - Catholic students: bring the message of Christ in schools and universities
- 2014-11-03 - The Church encourages the Small Christian communities to strengthen their faith and to proclaim the Gospel