ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Korean-Japanese Bishops discuss the reduction of dependence on nuclear power
Daegu (Agenzia Fides) - The 18th meeting of Korean-Japanese Bishops’ Exchange Meeting was held with the theme of "Nuclear Power Phase-out" in Gyeongju city of the Daegu Archdiocese in Korea from November 13 to 15. According to information sent to Fides Agency by the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Korea (CBCK), along with Most Rev. Peter Kang U-il, Bishop of Cheju, President of the CBCK, and Archbishop of Osaka,Most Rev. Leo Jun Ikenaga, President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Japan (CBCJ), about 40 bishops and priests participated in this meeting.
On the first day of work, Rev.Thomas Seigel Michael (Nanzan University Institute for Social Ethics) gave a lecture on "Theological Considerations concerning Nuclear Power Plants." He stressed the need to develop projects of sustainable energy, such as wind and solar energy, so as to reduce our dependence on nuclear energy.
Rev. Paul Park Hong-pyo, priest of the Diocese of Wonju and representative of the Committee against the Construction of Samcheok Nuclear Power Plant highlighted that residents want to live in a clean and peaceful environment and thus the nuclear power phase-out is a matter of life itself, not just politics.
On November 14, the bishops visited the Wolsung Nuclear Power Plant in Gyeongju and heard an explanation about the operation and management state of the nuclear power plant. Following the visit, the bishops celebrated Mass at the Yangnam Church. In his homily, the Most Rev. Thaddeus Cho Hwan-kil, Archbishop of Daegu, said that we should strive for nuclear power phase-out in order to safeguard the integrity of creation and the peaceful life of the earth which God has given to mankind.
On the last day, the Bishops had time to discuss the themes on nuclear power phase-out in group and then in plenary session. The next meeting is scheduled for 12 to 14 November 2013, in Japan. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/11/2012)
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul to Buddhists: "Let us together become a sign of peace and sharing"
- 2013-04-29 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The industrial complex of Kaesong closes but the "North-South cooperation is not completely interrupted," notes the Church
- 2013-04-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The "new Korean martyrs": an example in the Year of Faith
- 2013-04-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Winds of War, the Bishops appeal to the Pope: "Ask the leaders to work for peace"
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul, "Graces and blessings on our brothers and sisters in North Korea"
- 2013-03-07 ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Prison camps spread out and encompass the villages
- 2013-03-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - "Denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula": Archbishop of Seoul’s appeal
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Evangelization: a priority in the Year of Faith
- 2013-01-28 ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Danger of cannibalism in the poorest provinces affected by drought and famine
- 2013-01-25 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA- High tension between the Koreas: religions call for a "change of course"