AMERICA/PARAGUAY - The Bishops on the Curuguaty case: "To accelerate the investigation to determine those responsible"
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church calls to accelerate the investigation into the massacre of Curuguaty to determine those responsible of the events that on 15 June (see Fides 18/06/2012) caused the death of 11 farmers and six policemen, and some wounded, within the police operations to release land occupied by farmers.
In a statement sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay (CEP), signed on November 23 and released the next day, it is expressly asked to "speed up the investigation to determine who is responsible related to the painful events of Curuguaty." One also reads: "We appeal to the Christian conscience of the public authorities to clarify the facts under investigation and carry out justice."
For the massacre of Curuguaty more than 50 people were charged, of whom 12 were arrested. 4 of them were then under house arrest after a hunger strike. The other defendants are still being hunted. In that regard, His Exc. Mgr. Mario Melanio Medina Salinas, Bishop of San Juan Bautista de las Misiones, last week said that in the Curuguaty case positive law must prevail, declaring himself in favor of those who were on hunger strike, when the news that they had felt ill and had had to call the emergency medical intervention had spread. The Bishop said: "They cannot remain detained if there is no evidence against them." Even the Social Pastoral said that if prosecutors and judges feel incompetent, they must pass the trial to other judges. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2012)
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected