AFRICA/NIGERIA - "It is disturbing to see who defends us suffer such attacks," says the Archbishop of Jos
Jos (Agenzia Fides) - "What is really disturbing is that in carrying out these attacks, members of Boko Haram seem to be sure of success. This is shocking because it is supposed that the police and the military are in charge of protecting the civilian population, but have now themselves become victims of Boko Haram attacks. We are really in trouble," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama, Archbishop of Jos and President of the Bishops' Conference of Nigeria, commenting on the attack on Sunday, November 25 with two car bombs against a Protestant church within the barracks hosting the Armed Forces Command and Staff College (an important military school) in Jaji, in Kaduna State, in northern Nigeria.
"I have just returned to Nigeria from Rome, where I participated in the Consistory and the appointment of Mgr. Onayiekan to Cardinal, and I have just read about the attack," said Mgr. Kaigama. "My first reaction when I read about the attack on the Protestant church on a military base, was to think that these people are very daring. These criminals are able to renew themselves. They have gone from attacking innocent faithful in their churches to bringing the war within the military establishment, thus demonstrating a high degree of experience in committing their crimes and the level of organization that they have reached" says the Archbishop.
The Nigerian press reports that this morning an attack in Abuja (the federal capital) was fought off against the premises of a special unit of the police in charge of hunting down members of Boko Haram. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2012)
- 2013-05-24 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "British-born Adebolajo is not a Nigerian": the Nigerian community in London react
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops: "Nigeria now almost totters on the brink. Prayer is essential to restore peace"
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/NIGERIA – Bishops say: "Yes to the State of emergency but it is politicians have to work for peace,"
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Secretary of CAN in Borno killed, shortly after the declaration of a state of emergency
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am skeptical about the imposition of a State of emergency," said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-05-11 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Nigerian Church is with you": solidarity visit to Maiduguri of the Bishops of Jos Ecclesiastical Province
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - After the clashes in Baga, displaced people are still homeless
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The satellite images testify the heavy destruction in Baga
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri
- 2013-04-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - More than 70 churches destroyed in the state of Benue