ASIA/SYRIA - Chaldean Bishop Audo: the conflict has disfigured Aleppo
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - In recent days, the clash of arms that could be heard even from the center of Aleppo seems to have lessened. And in the apparent stalemate the devastating effects of the conflict on the ordinary life in what was one of the most thriving and cosmopolitan city in the Middle East is registered with more clarity.
"Here now everything is enshtouded by a sense of ruin and decay" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Antoine Audo, Chaldean Bishop of the metropolis.
As head of Caritas in Syria, Mgr. Audo is measures himself every day with the long-term consequences of the conflict on everyday life. He explains to Fides: "In Aleppo there are hundreds of thousands of internal refugees, huddled in schools and makeshift camps, such as the more than 5 thousand who sleep outdoors in the gardens of the university campus. But people do not work, and all have become poor. Even those who still live in their homes. The industrial areas of the suburbs were bombed and looted. For weeks, garbage is not collected, and in the streets, the air becomes unbreathable."
The five centers of Caritas in the city directly assist 2,400 families, distributing medicine, clothing and food products. In recent days, the priests and volunteers who work together in the Caritas network met with Mgr. Audo to study programs in view of the upcoming winter. In what in 2006 was awarded the title of "Cultural Capital of the Islamic world," the conflict has opened the doors to the ghosts of cold, hunger and disease. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2012).
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"