OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) - The Australian Catholic Social Justice Council, ACSJC has expressed serious concern regarding the state of detention children and their families in search of asylum are subjected to. In a statement sent to Fides Agency, the strong disappointment of the President of the ACSJC, His Exc. Mgr. Christopher Saunders, Bishop of Broome is stressed: "The fact that asylum seekers, including children, were sent to Manus (in north of Papua New Guinea) is an alarm bell. After personally verifying the conditions in detention centers in Australia, and after reading the reports of Amnesty on the crisis in Nauru, we are very concerned about their well-being." Mgr. Saunders points out: "No child should be detained on a fixed term in any center. No person should be detained on a fixed term in an environment that we know will cause long-term damage." The Bishop concludes: "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers, and we are particularly concerned about its effects on vulnerable people, especially children. We call on the Australian government to immediately release all children and their families from detention centers for immigrants located on land and offshore. " (AP) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2012)
- 2013-02-22 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission
- 2012-01-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The liturgy is enriched with aboriginal chants and prayers in a church on the outskirts of Sydney
- 2011-11-24 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-The Bishops listen to an Aboriginal leader, "an agenda of hope"
- 2011-10-17 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "Aborigines and immigrants are the heart of the mission", says the Archbishop of Canberra
- 2011-09-27 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - A hundred years ago the Australian Province of the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart was born