OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) - The Australian Catholic Social Justice Council, ACSJC has expressed serious concern regarding the state of detention children and their families in search of asylum are subjected to. In a statement sent to Fides Agency, the strong disappointment of the President of the ACSJC, His Exc. Mgr. Christopher Saunders, Bishop of Broome is stressed: "The fact that asylum seekers, including children, were sent to Manus (in north of Papua New Guinea) is an alarm bell. After personally verifying the conditions in detention centers in Australia, and after reading the reports of Amnesty on the crisis in Nauru, we are very concerned about their well-being." Mgr. Saunders points out: "No child should be detained on a fixed term in any center. No person should be detained on a fixed term in an environment that we know will cause long-term damage." The Bishop concludes: "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers, and we are particularly concerned about its effects on vulnerable people, especially children. We call on the Australian government to immediately release all children and their families from detention centers for immigrants located on land and offshore. " (AP) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2012)
- 2015-11-27 - Bishops appeal for the abolition of the death penalty worldwide
- 2015-10-29 - Catholic Mission's appeal: "Let us remember the most vulnerable children at Christmas"
- 2015-09-01 - Appeal to release children detained in the center for immigrants in Nauru
- 2015-07-01 - Twenty years of commitment to the reception of migrants
- 2015-06-05 - The Episcopal Commission for Migrants: "Take action to help the persecuted Rohingya"
- 2015-03-23 - Australian Catholic schools against bullying
- 2015-03-17 - Appeal for the victims of Cyclone Pam: 54 000 children affected
- 2015-02-13 - "Free the Children" campaign for the release of immigrant children held in prison
- 2015-02-06 - OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA – One hundred years of Thomas Merton
- 2014-10-30 - Catholic Mission calls for the support of Australians in order to feed the hungry, malnourished and sick Peruvian children