AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not resort to violence" asks Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel after the murder of the son of a rural leader
Chiapas (Agenzia Fides) - A group of criminals yesterday, Sunday, November 25, killed the son of a well-known rural leader, in the municipality of Venustiano Carranza, in Chiapas, Mexico.
Some armed men with their faces covered by balaclavas, set up an ambush for Luis Angel Hidalgo, 33 years old: eight bullets killed him instantly. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the local press, the criminal act is related to the internal fight linked to the rural world in this region of the central highlands of Chiapas, which sees different groups of farmers that oppose the organization "Emiliano Zapata - Casa del Pueblo (OCEZ), "recognized by the state, which currently manages assets and resources of the rural world. Luis Angel Hidalgo was the son of the former leader of OCEZ, Angel Hidalgo Espinosa, recently expelled from the organization with other 48 farmers after an attack against some representatives of the municipal authority, which took place on September 25.
The Bishop of the Diocese San Cristóbal de Las Casas, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, immediately after learning of the serious act of violence, asked the groups of farmers in conflict, almost all Indigenous, not to resort to arms to threaten or beat their opponents, or to use any form of aggression. It is important that the leaders mange to denounce and fight for their rights, but it is also necessary to know how to listen, to learn about the rights of other groups and organizations. Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel told the press that "some want to take advantage of the next change of government to gain space," and invited everyone to a dialogue for peace. "Cases of violence - said the Bishop -, create divisions in the various communities, sauch as Venustiano Carranza." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2012)
- 2013-06-17 AMERICA/MEXICO - "To burn people alive, film them and then sell the video is the sign of ethical decline"
- 2013-06-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - The disarmament campaign continues with the help of the Church: More than 5000 weapons recovered
- 2013-06-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Filing immigrants is a shame", denounces Fr. Solalinde
- 2013-06-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - "One cannot live in fear": the Bishops of Michoacan ask for everyone’s commitment
- 2013-06-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prayers for the truce between Honduran gangs in Mexico
- 2013-06-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - 2 migrants who had denounced extortion have been killed, the Church asks for protection
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women