AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop Kyrillos: Christians will study a common strategy due to the authoritarian tendencies of Morsi’s government
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The event is scheduled for Tuesday, November 27. On that day, a delegation of the Catholic Churches in Egypt will visit Patriarch Tawadros II, crowned Pope of the Coptic Orthodox on Sunday, November 18. "On that occasion" Bishop Kyrillos William of Assiut, Patriarchal Vicar of the Catholic Copts assures Fides Agency - we will consult each other and coordinate our actions in front of the emergency that is hitting our Country."
The constitutional decrees with which President Morsi has expanded his powers continue to raise protests and unrest in the great North African Country. Tahrir Square was again filled with protesters against what is perceived as an attack on the rising Egyptian democracy. "Morsi’s followers," Bishop Kyrillos explains to Fides "claim that these measures are necessary in order to safeguard the path of revolution. But all the others talk about a drift towards dictatorship and say that President Morsi wants to become a new Pharaoh."
Last week, representatives of the Christian community confirmed their withdrawal from the Constituent Assembly, in response to the pressures in action to orientate in an Islamist sense the constitutional Egyptian charter. Yesterday the forfeit announced by Coptic presidential adviser Shamir Morcos sparked uproar, hitherto considered a valuable intermediary between the Morsi Presidency and the Coptic community. "Morcos" says to Fides Agency Bishop Kyrillos "was assistant to the President for the democratization of the Country. The reasons for his retirement are eloquent: Morcos said that the recent decrees of the President, adopted without any consultation, sabotaged that very process of development of democracy that he should have monitored, reducing his role to a purely decorative function. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/11/2012).
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Patriarch Sidrak: the encounter between Francis and Tawadros II helps us to rediscover ourselves united in baptism
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: the meeting between Pope Francis and Pope Tawadros - to walk towards full communion between our Churches
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
- 2013-04-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II’s secretary: five guidelines to do away with religious conflicts
- 2013-04-08 AFRICA/EGYPT - Assault against the Coptic Cathedral of St. Mark. Patriarch Tawadros calls everyone to remain calm
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros: I will go to Rome to meet Pope Francis
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - The new Coptic Catholic Patriarch settles while in Rome the Pro Eligendo Pontiff Mass is held. Cardinal Naguib: it is a providential coincidence
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
- 2013-02-23 AFRICA/EGYPT - Elections at Easter: Copts protest, possible postponement
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Catholic priest killed; "this is the second of my priests to die" says Catholic Bishop of Zanzibar