ASIA/UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - Spiritual enthusiasm of young people in the Year of Faith, with "Youcat"
Abu Dhabi (Agenzia Fides) - In the Year of Faith the Catholic youth in the Arabian Peninsula will deepen faith and study the contents thanks to "You Cat", a special catechism for young people, which is available in English but also in Arabic. This is what Mgr. Camillo Ballin, Comboni, Apostolic Vicar of North Arabia reported to Fides, talking about how the local communities live the Year of Faith.
The local Church has tried to give a boost especially to the youth, through the great gathering of young Catholics of the peninsula held in Abu Dhabi, UAE, from November 15 to 17. "The meeting - explains the Vicar - was a moment to regain enthusiasm in faith. It was attended by over 2,500 young Catholics, mostly Asians (Indians, Bangladeshis, Filipinos, Sri Lankans who permanently live in the Arabian Peninsula), but also Arabs. Young people responded with enthusiasm, approaching the Sacraments such as Reconciliation and the Eucharist." Over 600 young people went to confession, in the three-day meeting, and many others were "deeply impressed and inspired by the talks and catechesis," while more than 5,000 people attended the final concert of the meeting. Mgr. Ballin notes: "The final message is a message of joy, the invitation not to be afraid and to be a force for society, for the Church and for the world." Even Mgr. Paul Hinder, Apostolic Vicar of South Arabia, speaking at the conference, urged young people to "believe that anything is possible, based on the message of Jesus in the Gospel," reminding all participants that "they have a mission to carry out. " In the coming months, to give continuity to the event, in the Year of Faith, the young people of the Arabian Peninsula will study and meditate upon the content of faith through "You Cat", catechism thought for them.
In addition, the Apostolic Vicar of North Arabia has sent the entire Catholic population of its territory (about 300 thousand faithful), a special Pastoral Letter that comments the "Creed" and that will be the subject of study, reflection and revision of life in the assembly meetings during the Year of Faith. In September 2012 a special "Congress Unit" of the local church was held in Kweit, a kind of "small synod", with over 400 participants on the topic of faith. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 24/11/2012)
ASIA/UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
- 2014-10-14 - New parish center inaugurated by the Minister of Culture
- 2014-10-06 - The Bishops of the Arab Regions: ensuring freedom and respect for immigrant workers
- 2014-09-30 - The Latin Bishops of the region discuss the pastoral care of immigrants in the Arabian Peninsula
- 2014-03-01 - Dubai has a parish with 400,000 faithful
- 2012-11-24 - Spiritual enthusiasm of young people in the Year of Faith, with "Youcat"
- 2012-11-09 - Murder of an Indian Christian doctor: religious motivation is excluded
- 2012-11-07 - Year of Faith in the Arabian Peninsula: gathering of young Catholics in the Middle East
- 2009-11-23 - Swine flu shows alarming reports from Eastern Mediterranean