AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "There is always the widow's contribution that gives hope": testimony of the Bishop of Tenkodogo
Tenkodogo (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Prosper Kontiebo, Burkinabé Camillian, since February 11, 2012 is the Pastor of the new Diocese of Tenkodogo, in the south of Ouagadougou. This is the fourth Bishop in the 400 years of history of the Order founded by St. Camillus, who arrived here on October 12, 1966 with three of his young religious. The following is a testimony of the Bishop, sent to Fides Agency by Camillian Father Felice Ruffini.
"We were in the week of the 32nd Sunday of this year 2012, and in my head I could still hear the Gospel which I commented: Jesus sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents, (cf. Mk 12: 41-44). Well ... what do you want me to say? - Writes Mgr. Kontiebo - Jesus was right again .... as usual. "
After this reflection, the Bishop adds his testimony of life. "Since his appointment as Bishop I went to visit my elderly grandmother, who lives in a village in Africa. I gave her a detailed account of the long and solemn celebrations during which I was consecrated Pastor of a Christian community in the south of the Country, with its festivities which for days involved thousands of people. During the long conversation, having heard that soon I would go to Rome to meet the Pope in St. Peter’s, she stood up and from a box pulled out 250 CFA francs, equal to 0.38 euro, which does not provide a rich meal but sufficent, and while putting the money in my hands, said: 'It is not for you .... but when you are in S. Peter’s put them in the box that is at his feet .... it is for the Pope." " This is a story of a Church in our days, these days, tormented yes, but always illuminated by a great light of hope," concludes Fr. Ruffini. (FR/AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/11/2012 )
- 2013-10-28 - John Paul II foundation for the Sahel: renew oneself for a better service to the poor
- 2013-09-21 - "The Catholic Church will not sit in the Senate" say the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-07-23 - The Bishops: "Burkina Faso needs justice, reconciliation and peace"
- 2013-02-20 - Caritas Sahel Meeting: focus Humanitarian Crisis in Mali
- 2012-12-15 - Centenary of the Evangelization of Koudougou: an extraordinary opportunity to become more aware of the missionary mandate
- 2012-11-24 - "There is always the widow's contribution that gives hope": testimony of the Bishop of Tenkodogo
- 2012-10-25 - A Camillian from Burkina Faso dies at the age of 21, on the 45th day of his first religious profession
- 2012-10-18 - "It is a great thing to serve others": the testimony of a missionary Camillian doctor from Burkina Faso
- 2012-07-16 - Famine and insecurity at the base of the exodus of refugees from Mali; the project of the Camillian Task Force
- 2012-07-03 - The gold rush and its social consequences