AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "There is always the widow's contribution that gives hope": testimony of the Bishop of Tenkodogo
Tenkodogo (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Prosper Kontiebo, Burkinabé Camillian, since February 11, 2012 is the Pastor of the new Diocese of Tenkodogo, in the south of Ouagadougou. This is the fourth Bishop in the 400 years of history of the Order founded by St. Camillus, who arrived here on October 12, 1966 with three of his young religious. The following is a testimony of the Bishop, sent to Fides Agency by Camillian Father Felice Ruffini.
"We were in the week of the 32nd Sunday of this year 2012, and in my head I could still hear the Gospel which I commented: Jesus sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents, (cf. Mk 12: 41-44). Well ... what do you want me to say? - Writes Mgr. Kontiebo - Jesus was right again .... as usual. "
After this reflection, the Bishop adds his testimony of life. "Since his appointment as Bishop I went to visit my elderly grandmother, who lives in a village in Africa. I gave her a detailed account of the long and solemn celebrations during which I was consecrated Pastor of a Christian community in the south of the Country, with its festivities which for days involved thousands of people. During the long conversation, having heard that soon I would go to Rome to meet the Pope in St. Peter’s, she stood up and from a box pulled out 250 CFA francs, equal to 0.38 euro, which does not provide a rich meal but sufficent, and while putting the money in my hands, said: 'It is not for you .... but when you are in S. Peter’s put them in the box that is at his feet .... it is for the Pope." " This is a story of a Church in our days, these days, tormented yes, but always illuminated by a great light of hope," concludes Fr. Ruffini. (FR/AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/11/2012 )
- 2015-02-09 - Demonstrations for the dissolution of the presidential guard
- 2014-12-17 - The Camilliani committed to face the threat of Ebola virus
- 2014-11-17 - AFRICA/BURKINA FASO – Burkina Faso appoints transitional President
- 2014-11-12 - Mgr. Ouedraogo confident about the return of power to civilians on behalf of the military
- 2014-11-11 - A Bishop President of the Transition? The official position of the Church
- 2014-11-06 - An agreement for the transition has been reached; for the Bishops: a "historic turning point, now let us work for peace"
- 2014-11-05 - Cardinal Ouédraogo: "There is a desire for dialogue to end the crisis"
- 2014-11-03 - "Pray for reconciliation, justice and peace", asks Cardinal Ouédraogo
- 2014-10-31 - The Bishops a year ago warned: "Young people’s anger increases due to corrupt politics"
- 2014-10-31 - "We have reached a turning point in the history of the Country", say local Church sources