AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "There is always the widow's contribution that gives hope": testimony of the Bishop of Tenkodogo
Tenkodogo (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Prosper Kontiebo, Burkinabé Camillian, since February 11, 2012 is the Pastor of the new Diocese of Tenkodogo, in the south of Ouagadougou. This is the fourth Bishop in the 400 years of history of the Order founded by St. Camillus, who arrived here on October 12, 1966 with three of his young religious. The following is a testimony of the Bishop, sent to Fides Agency by Camillian Father Felice Ruffini.
"We were in the week of the 32nd Sunday of this year 2012, and in my head I could still hear the Gospel which I commented: Jesus sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents, (cf. Mk 12: 41-44). Well ... what do you want me to say? - Writes Mgr. Kontiebo - Jesus was right again .... as usual. "
After this reflection, the Bishop adds his testimony of life. "Since his appointment as Bishop I went to visit my elderly grandmother, who lives in a village in Africa. I gave her a detailed account of the long and solemn celebrations during which I was consecrated Pastor of a Christian community in the south of the Country, with its festivities which for days involved thousands of people. During the long conversation, having heard that soon I would go to Rome to meet the Pope in St. Peter’s, she stood up and from a box pulled out 250 CFA francs, equal to 0.38 euro, which does not provide a rich meal but sufficent, and while putting the money in my hands, said: 'It is not for you .... but when you are in S. Peter’s put them in the box that is at his feet .... it is for the Pope." " This is a story of a Church in our days, these days, tormented yes, but always illuminated by a great light of hope," concludes Fr. Ruffini. (FR/AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/11/2012 )
- 2015-10-05 - "We are all called to work for reconciliation" says Cardinal Ouédraogo after the failed coup
- 2015-10-02 - Leader of the coup surrenders; today a day of prayer for peace in the Country
- 2015-09-28 - Coup leaders retreat: the role of the king of the Mossi in the resolution of the crisis
- 2015-09-23 - An agreement with the coup leaders has been reached; Bishops: "do not destroy the expectations of the people"
- 2015-09-22 - Burkina Faso's army has given coup leaders an ultimatum to surrender
- 2015-09-17 - "A predictable coup since Compaoré's praetorian guard was not dissolved" say Fides sources
- 2015-09-07 - Bishops' message for the 11 October elections: "Politics, the highest form of charity"
- 2015-07-15 - Caritas launches the program of consolidation of democracy in view of the elections in October
- 2015-02-09 - Demonstrations for the dissolution of the presidential guard
- 2014-12-17 - The Camilliani committed to face the threat of Ebola virus