AMERICA/BOLIVIA - March for life: "No" of the population to abortion
Santa Cruz (Agenzia Fides) - "I love life": gathered round this slogan, the population of Santa Cruz participated in the "March for Life" which was held yesterday, Friday, November 23, organized by more than 300 institutions such as the Regional Council of Youth, the Catholic Church and the Women's Civic Committee, among others.
As reported to Fides by the local Church, the initiative wanted to publicly express disagreement concerning law projects that propose the legalization of abortion in the country.
The Coadjutor Archbishop of Santa Cruz de la Sierra, His Exc. Mgr. Sergio Gualberti, invited all people to "participate in mass and with enthusiasm in the March for life, and so reject abortion and euthanasia that want to impose groups with foreign ideologies," he said in a official statement, sent to Fides. "Faced with this situation, as Catholics we want to publicly express our faith in the God of life, inviolable from the moment of conception until natural death," he added.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Edwin Bazan, a spokesman for the local Catholic Church, remarked that bills such as these are intended to ensure that the "culture of death", often uncritically accepted by politicians, "take root in Bolivia ". Through the march, the Church wanted to remind them that they should promote legislation in favor of life: "We want to tell politicians that we, the people who gave the vote to them, are a nation that wants life and not projects of death. We believe that life is a gift from God and must be respected. It is time to accompany our prayers with acts: the march is a clear message to the political class," said the spokesman of the Catholic Church.
Agustin Aguilera, vice president of the National Association of Evangelicals of Bolivia, who participated in the march, defined the legalization of abortion "murder." "Abortion is a soft word to say 'right to kill', because when a person is conceived he/she has the right to live," he remarked. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/11/2012)
- 2014-10-11 - Mission Month: schools in Sucre also go on missions
- 2014-10-02 - The priority for the Auxiliary Bishop of Reyes: "Working to be a single Christian community"
- 2014-09-04 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Catholic Bishops of Bolivia and Peru take communications course “For a culture of encounter”
- 2014-08-05 - National holiday: the Church hopes for unity and peace, in view of the forthcoming elections
- 2014-08-04 - Prevention to fight against the new phenomenon of 'micro-trafficking' of drugs
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace