AMERICA/BOLIVIA - March for life: "No" of the population to abortion
Santa Cruz (Agenzia Fides) - "I love life": gathered round this slogan, the population of Santa Cruz participated in the "March for Life" which was held yesterday, Friday, November 23, organized by more than 300 institutions such as the Regional Council of Youth, the Catholic Church and the Women's Civic Committee, among others.
As reported to Fides by the local Church, the initiative wanted to publicly express disagreement concerning law projects that propose the legalization of abortion in the country.
The Coadjutor Archbishop of Santa Cruz de la Sierra, His Exc. Mgr. Sergio Gualberti, invited all people to "participate in mass and with enthusiasm in the March for life, and so reject abortion and euthanasia that want to impose groups with foreign ideologies," he said in a official statement, sent to Fides. "Faced with this situation, as Catholics we want to publicly express our faith in the God of life, inviolable from the moment of conception until natural death," he added.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Edwin Bazan, a spokesman for the local Catholic Church, remarked that bills such as these are intended to ensure that the "culture of death", often uncritically accepted by politicians, "take root in Bolivia ". Through the march, the Church wanted to remind them that they should promote legislation in favor of life: "We want to tell politicians that we, the people who gave the vote to them, are a nation that wants life and not projects of death. We believe that life is a gift from God and must be respected. It is time to accompany our prayers with acts: the march is a clear message to the political class," said the spokesman of the Catholic Church.
Agustin Aguilera, vice president of the National Association of Evangelicals of Bolivia, who participated in the march, defined the legalization of abortion "murder." "Abortion is a soft word to say 'right to kill', because when a person is conceived he/she has the right to live," he remarked. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/11/2012)
- 2015-11-20 - The Church strongly rejects the use of the image of the Pope for political activities
- 2015-11-13 - The Episcopal Conference: "We need and want a change"
- 2015-11-07 - The Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia towards the American Missionary Congress
- 2015-11-06 - 100th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference: V American Missionary Congress (CAM 5) is among the topics to be discussed
- 2015-10-15 - The Maryknoll Mission Center has been offering missionaries a valuable service for half a century
- 2015-10-12 - The Pope's message at the forum on climate: "Follow a fair and integral ecology"
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis