AMERICA/PERU - The first stone of the new church dedicated to San. Pedro and San. Pablo in Ichu was blessed
Puno (Agenzia Fides) - On November 21 the "first stone" of a new church dedicated to San Pedro and San Pablo in Ichu, a town located 15 km south of the city of Puno (Peru) was blessed. A source of Fides reports that mothers brought their children, and men stopped working in the fields after hearing the bell of the old church, which is still in use and that every Sunday welcomes the faithful of Ichu, in order to participate in the laying of the first stone of the new temple. The inhabitants of the rural area must travel more than 15 kilometers on foot to attend Mass every Sunday, and many times they are not even able to enter the old church because it is small.
His Exc. Mgr. Jorge Pedro Carrion Pavlich, Bishop of the Diocese of Puno, presided over the rite of blessing and laying of the first stone. The construction is promoted by the local Church with the international organization "Fe y Alegria", working in Peru since 1966, working with the community of believers in the option for the poor, according to the principles of dialogue and respect, to promote the outcasts of society. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/11/2012)
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers