AMERICA/PERU - The first stone of the new church dedicated to San. Pedro and San. Pablo in Ichu was blessed
Puno (Agenzia Fides) - On November 21 the "first stone" of a new church dedicated to San Pedro and San Pablo in Ichu, a town located 15 km south of the city of Puno (Peru) was blessed. A source of Fides reports that mothers brought their children, and men stopped working in the fields after hearing the bell of the old church, which is still in use and that every Sunday welcomes the faithful of Ichu, in order to participate in the laying of the first stone of the new temple. The inhabitants of the rural area must travel more than 15 kilometers on foot to attend Mass every Sunday, and many times they are not even able to enter the old church because it is small.
His Exc. Mgr. Jorge Pedro Carrion Pavlich, Bishop of the Diocese of Puno, presided over the rite of blessing and laying of the first stone. The construction is promoted by the local Church with the international organization "Fe y Alegria", working in Peru since 1966, working with the community of believers in the option for the poor, according to the principles of dialogue and respect, to promote the outcasts of society. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/11/2012)
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation