AMERICA/BRAZIL - Indigenous Peoples: "no longer the object of our love, but the protagonists of their own history"
Luziania (Agenzia Fides) - "The identity of Cimi is the alliance with indigenous peoples, so that they do not lose their identity": said the President of the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the Bishop of the Prelature of Xingu ( PA), His Exc. Mgr. Erwin Krautler during the opening Mass of the Congress, which celebrates 40 years of the organization, in Luziânia (GO), Brazil. The Congress which started on Tuesday 20, brings together 250 people from across the country, to address the theme "Roots, Identity, Mission," recalling the history of CIMI, an organization of the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB). According to Mgr. Erwin, the worst thing that can happen to a nation is lose its identity, for this reason in its 40 years of existence, CIMI has helped indigenous peoples to preserve their identity. The President added that, in this period, CIMI has learned a lot from the natives: "Gone are the days when we worked in favor of indigenous peoples, without including them in our journey. They are not the object of our love, but the protagonists of their own history, and we are their ally."
The note sent to Fides Agency by CIMI also refers to Bishop Erwin’s response to the criticism addressed to CIMI: "We have never affiliated to any faction or political party. Our flag is the life of indigenous peoples. Thus we have the courage to face an anti-indigenous policy, which is still in force in the country."
The Congress programme, which ends on Friday, November 23, includes some moments dedicated to the memory of the 40 years of CIMI. Today, 22 November, the participation of the Bishop emeritus of Goiás (GO), His Exc. Mgr. Tomas Balduino, one of the founders of CIMI is expected, who celebrates his 90 years of age. The closing ceremony provides for the approval of a "Manifesto of the 40 years of CIMI." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/11/2012)
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 AMERICA/BRAZIL - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil