AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Challenges to the family in the national reality: a Bishops' letter is being prepared
San Marcos (Agenzia Fides) – On November 21, the annual Assembly of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) ended, during which various issues, including the pastoral, political situation and social development of the country were dealt with; the final ruling of the Court of The Hague, which recognized the maritime rights of Nicaragua, until now under the custody of Colombia; the request of the authorities of the Government to declare "The Griteria" religious feast of Nicaragua, as a "historical and cultural heritage of humanity "; the Year of Faith.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference, the Bishops’ meeting began on Monday 19 in San Marcos, with a reflection by Mgr. Sócrates René Sándigo Jirón, Bishop of Diocesis of Juigalpa, President of the Episcopal Conference, who attended the Synod on the New Evangelization. Just on the conclusions of the Synod, the Bishops heard Mgr. Sándigo Jirón’s testimony, and then reflected on how to apply them to the realities of the local Church.
The central theme of the Assembly was the family: on this issue the Bishops are preparing a pastoral Letter, which will be published at the end of December, and that in detail will face difficulties and challenges of the family in the national reality, in the light of the Magisterium of the Church, to strengthen the values that have to be the basis for all Christian families.
The Secretary of CEN, father Herling Hernández, speaking to the press at the end of the work, emphasized the contribution of the Bishops to the reform of the family Code, social groups have proposed to "widen the concept of family." Father Hernandez, as spokesman for the Bishops, said that "the Church defends the concept of family according to the Magisterium of the Church, and the value of the family proposed by the model of God." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/11/2012)
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter