AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Challenges to the family in the national reality: a Bishops' letter is being prepared
San Marcos (Agenzia Fides) – On November 21, the annual Assembly of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) ended, during which various issues, including the pastoral, political situation and social development of the country were dealt with; the final ruling of the Court of The Hague, which recognized the maritime rights of Nicaragua, until now under the custody of Colombia; the request of the authorities of the Government to declare "The Griteria" religious feast of Nicaragua, as a "historical and cultural heritage of humanity "; the Year of Faith.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference, the Bishops’ meeting began on Monday 19 in San Marcos, with a reflection by Mgr. Sócrates René Sándigo Jirón, Bishop of Diocesis of Juigalpa, President of the Episcopal Conference, who attended the Synod on the New Evangelization. Just on the conclusions of the Synod, the Bishops heard Mgr. Sándigo Jirón’s testimony, and then reflected on how to apply them to the realities of the local Church.
The central theme of the Assembly was the family: on this issue the Bishops are preparing a pastoral Letter, which will be published at the end of December, and that in detail will face difficulties and challenges of the family in the national reality, in the light of the Magisterium of the Church, to strengthen the values that have to be the basis for all Christian families.
The Secretary of CEN, father Herling Hernández, speaking to the press at the end of the work, emphasized the contribution of the Bishops to the reform of the family Code, social groups have proposed to "widen the concept of family." Father Hernandez, as spokesman for the Bishops, said that "the Church defends the concept of family according to the Magisterium of the Church, and the value of the family proposed by the model of God." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/11/2012)
- 2015-11-18 - Bishops meeting: Bring the Gospel to those who use "the digital world"
- 2015-10-28 - The anti-interoceanic canal march suspended, but the population still opposes
- 2015-10-19 - Mining activity in Rancho Grande is "not feasible": listen to the people and the Church
- 2015-10-12 - The Church ready to mediate in the mine issue, "no one has to die for this"
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished