ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Roham’s appeal to the belligerents: "Save the cities of Kamishly and Hassaké"
Hassaké (Agenzia Fides) - Thousands of innocent civilians and displaced families, including women, old people, children, have taken refuge in the city of Kamishly and Hassaké (eastern Syria), who must absolutely be "preserved and saved by the conflict, in order to avoid a humanitarian catastrophe ": this is the appeal launched through Fides Agency by His Exc. Mgr. Eustathius Matta Roham, Syrian Orthodox Archbishop of the Diocese of Jazirah and Euphrates, which covers the territories of eastern Syria.
With regards, in a message sent to Fides, to the situation in his diocese, Mgr. Matta Roham defines it "confused" and describes people "full of fear, especially in Kamishly and Hassaké." "There are over 400,000 people in each of these two major cities - he explains - and Christians are about 20% in each. In addition, thousands of displaced families have come to Kamishly and Hassaké after leaving their homes in ruins in other parts of the country. If one day, God forbid, the war reaches these two cities, there will be a real big disaster for thousands of families and innocent civilians."
This is why the Archbishop launches an urgent appeal to the international organizations and all parties in conflict so that "this region can be saved and will remain a safe haven for all in order to save the lives of thousands of families, and avoid an ultimate destruction ".
In a message sent to Fides, the Archbishop, looking at the destruction of many places and infrastructures in Syria, says bitterly that "it will take many years to rebuild both the souls and buildings in our country. I pray that justice and peace prevail over this situation of chaos."
"The war in Syria - he continues - has caused division among communities in many places and the destruction of many urban areas. On the other hand, it has created solidarity among the majority of people, who refuse to fight and try to take care of the families who are suffering."
Mgr. Matta Roham prays the Lord so that "with his wisdom he may lead the parties toward a peaceful solution to the conflict." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/11/2012)
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra
- 2014-10-07 - Bishop Khazen confirms: a priest and twenty Christians of the village of Knayeh have been kidnapped
- 2014-10-02 - Massacre of children in Homs; three Christians kidnapped in the province of Hassaké
- 2014-09-24 - Armenian Archbishop of Aleppo: for the people, the perpetrators of the raids are certainly not "liberators"
- 2014-09-22 - The jihadists of the Islamic State destroy the memorial church of the Armenian Genocide in Deir el-Zor