AMERICA/CUBA - Cardinal Ortega’s Letter for the Year of Faith, "a meditation on this historic moment to promote the encounter of the Cuban people with Jesus"
Havana (Agenzia Fides) - "Esta es nuestra Fe" (This is our Faith) is the title of Cardinal Jaime Ortega Alamino’s pastoral Letter, on the occasion of the Year of Faith. According to the explanatory note of the Conference of Catholic Bishops of Cuba, sent to Fides Agency, the Cardinal asks Catholics on the island to deepen their knowledge of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, in order to establish this knowledge in an evangelizing action to bring the Cuban people to encounter Christ.
The letter, in the words of the Cardinal, "contains a meditation on this historical moment with its features and the need to pay attention to it and to deepen our faith, to find ways to promote the encounter of our brothers and sisters with our God and Savior Jesus Christ."
In Cuba, where those who profess faith in Jesus Christ have been persecuted and even tried to silence, the biblical passage quoted by Cardinal Jaime Ortega fits well, where Jesus asks Paul: Why do you persecute me? "Paul’s response, who then was a persecutor of Christians, became the great missionary of Christianity." The Cardinal invites one to this encounter, in the search of God on behalf of man, because for the Cuban, who mostly lives in the midst of uncertainty and frustration, "God comes to meet us, here and now."
The Archbishop of Havana concluded by inviting the faithful to a New Evangelization. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2012)
- 2014-01-17 - Cooperation projects in a different Cuba
- 2013-12-21 - New Year in the sign of commitment towards family and missionary proclamation, in a different Cuba
- 2013-10-23 - School Education for disabled children
- 2013-10-22 - Entrepreneurs trained in courses promoted by the Catholic Church
- 2013-09-16 - "Hope does not disappoint", Cuban Bishops' letter asking for political reforms
- 2013-03-20 - Good Friday: granted non-working day
- 2013-02-13 - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
- 2013-01-26 - In Granma the government returns two schools and land to the Catholic Church
- 2012-12-13 - 50 days after the hurricane, thousands of people are still homeless and without services
- 2012-11-21 - Cardinal Ortega’s Letter for the Year of Faith, "a meditation on this historic moment to promote the encounter of the Cuban people with Jesus"