AMERICA/CUBA - Cardinal Ortega’s Letter for the Year of Faith, "a meditation on this historic moment to promote the encounter of the Cuban people with Jesus"
Havana (Agenzia Fides) - "Esta es nuestra Fe" (This is our Faith) is the title of Cardinal Jaime Ortega Alamino’s pastoral Letter, on the occasion of the Year of Faith. According to the explanatory note of the Conference of Catholic Bishops of Cuba, sent to Fides Agency, the Cardinal asks Catholics on the island to deepen their knowledge of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, in order to establish this knowledge in an evangelizing action to bring the Cuban people to encounter Christ.
The letter, in the words of the Cardinal, "contains a meditation on this historical moment with its features and the need to pay attention to it and to deepen our faith, to find ways to promote the encounter of our brothers and sisters with our God and Savior Jesus Christ."
In Cuba, where those who profess faith in Jesus Christ have been persecuted and even tried to silence, the biblical passage quoted by Cardinal Jaime Ortega fits well, where Jesus asks Paul: Why do you persecute me? "Paul’s response, who then was a persecutor of Christians, became the great missionary of Christianity." The Cardinal invites one to this encounter, in the search of God on behalf of man, because for the Cuban, who mostly lives in the midst of uncertainty and frustration, "God comes to meet us, here and now."
The Archbishop of Havana concluded by inviting the faithful to a New Evangelization. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2012)
- 2015-09-22 - "Mission houses": places of community life and strength of the Church in Cuba
- 2015-09-12 - Amnesty for 3522 prisoners: the Bishops express their satisfaction with "this act of mercy"
- 2015-09-09 - Feast of Our Lady of Charity, Patroness of Cuba, in the view of the Pope’s visit
- 2015-08-21 - The Cuban government "appreciates the role of the Church", said Mgr. Hernández
- 2015-08-13 - Pope Francis in Cuba special government webpage and Divine Mercy logo
- 2015-07-02 - Food sovereignty and other initiatives resume power thanks to CELAM
- 2015-06-19 - Catholic radio through Internet
- 2015-06-02 - Pastoral Plan for the Church in Cuba: "a dynamic, open and missionary communion"
- 2015-04-24 - The Pope's visit will support the Cuban Church in its attention to the cause of peace and the common good
- 2015-04-24 - Secular Franciscans in Cuba: more and more involved in parishes