AFRICA/KENYA - "The Shabaab are bringing their war in Kenya": the Bishop of Garissa's concern
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "Garissa is completely blocked, while fighting continues. The entire population is locked in the house and cannot go out and buy the necessary goods, no one can enter or leave the city," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Paul Darmanin, Bishop of Garissa, in eastern Kenya, on the border with Somalia. " The clashes – explains the Bishop - broke out yesterday when an armed group killed three soldiers who were walking the streets of the city." According to the Kenyan press, the three soldiers were part of the Kenyan army operating in Somalia.
"The army immediately surrounded a large area of the city in search of the culprits. The result was a battle that is still going on, in the course of which fire was set to the city market and shops, " continues Mgr. Darmanin. "The Somali Shabaab had promised that they would bring the war in Kenya, and it seems they are trying to do it," said Mgr. Darmanin. In Nairobi, in the district inhabited mainly by Somali, tension remains high for the riots in the aftermath of the bus attack where at least nine people were killed, according to the latest reports (see Fides 19/11/2012). Mgr. Darmanin stresses that who pays the price of these tensions "are Somalis of Kenyan nationality, which are viewed by other Kenyan as supporters of the Shabaab."
"The situation is very complicated and I ask the prayers of all," concluded Mgr. Darmanin. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/11/2012)
- 2013-11-19 AFRICA/KENYA - Polio alert in the Horn of Africa: planned vaccination campaigns for millions of children
- 2013-11-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
- 2013-11-09 AFRICA/KENYA - The Bishops of Kenya: insecurity, corruption and greed devastate the nation
- 2013-10-24 AFRICA/KENYA - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
- 2013-10-02 AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/KENYA - Controversy over the assault at Westgate
- 2013-09-25 AFRICA/KENYA – End of the siege at the mall in Nairobi. Cardinal Njue visits the wounded
- 2013-09-24 AFRICA/KENYA – Attack in Nairobi: A Bishop invites to pray also via twitter
- 2013-09-23 AFRICA/KENYA - Religious leaders united: "we are convinced beyond doubt that the attempt to sow seeds of discord between Christians and Muslims will fail"
- 2013-09-23 AFRICA/KENYA – A shopping center in Nairobi: still a dozen hostages in the hands of terrorists