AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rebels of the M23 announce that they have entered in Goma
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The rebels of the M23 announced that this morning, November 20, they entered Goma, the capital of North Kivu, in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The M23 had already occupied the city's airport a few days ago and now, according to international agencies, they are advancing towards the center of Goma, near the Rwanda border.
The clash between the Congolese army (supported by MONUSCO, the UN Mission in the DRC) and the M23 is openly taking the size of a war between the DRC and Rwanda. In a statement sent to Fides Agency by some humanitarian workers who have remained in Goma, it is said that a few hours ago firing from the army of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) and Rwanda were heard from a distance. The government of Rwanda, accused by some UN reports, of supporting the M23, who alleged that the Congolese artillery struck the city of Gisenyi in Rwanda, which is located right in front of Goma. The Congolese press in turn now speaks of open warfare between the two Countries. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/11/2012)
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/ RD CONGO - “Integrate Framework Agreement for Congo” say NGOs