AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of Bishops for the Reconstruction and 160 pastoral projects in Latin America
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' (USCCB) has allocated $ 4.9 million for various projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. The USCCB Subcommittee for the Church in Latin America informs that during the last meeting held in Baltimore, Maryland, approved funding for for 160 pastoral projects worth nearly $2.3 million in the region and $2.6 million for the reconstruction of a school and a church in Haiti.
"Supporting pastoral projects is part of our solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Latin America," said the Chairman of the Subcommittee, the Archbishop of Los Angeles, Archbishop Jose H. Gomez. "We also have worked diligently to support the Church in Haiti, in Chile, and now in Cuba as they begin to rebuild infrastructures for the communities of faith affected by severe earthquakes and hurricanes," said the Archbishop.
The note sent to Fides Agency states that the Chairman of the Subcommittee Advisory Group, the Archbishop of Miami, His Exc. Mgr. Thomas Wenski said he took some time to identify the most effective mechanisms for reconstruction, but now it is time to start the concrete stage. The Subcommittee also approved funding for the reconstruction of several churches in Cuba, damaged by Hurricane Sandy, which hit the Caribbean island last October (see Fides 06/11/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/11/2012)
- 2013-06-03 AMERICA/COLORADO - Children hospitalized with respiratory crisis for having ingested marijuana
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops
- 2013-04-03 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - 1.3 billion people worldwide live on less than $ 1.25 a day
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigration reform, perhaps even the support of the Pope
- 2013-03-11 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
- 2013-01-09 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - In California, one child out of 5 lives below the poverty line, the phenomenon is on the rise
- 2013-01-07 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - National Migration Week: to raise awareness on the 11 million undocumented persons
- 2012-12-10 AMERICA - About 300 000 children recruited for criminal activity in the world