AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of Bishops for the Reconstruction and 160 pastoral projects in Latin America
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' (USCCB) has allocated $ 4.9 million for various projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. The USCCB Subcommittee for the Church in Latin America informs that during the last meeting held in Baltimore, Maryland, approved funding for for 160 pastoral projects worth nearly $2.3 million in the region and $2.6 million for the reconstruction of a school and a church in Haiti.
"Supporting pastoral projects is part of our solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Latin America," said the Chairman of the Subcommittee, the Archbishop of Los Angeles, Archbishop Jose H. Gomez. "We also have worked diligently to support the Church in Haiti, in Chile, and now in Cuba as they begin to rebuild infrastructures for the communities of faith affected by severe earthquakes and hurricanes," said the Archbishop.
The note sent to Fides Agency states that the Chairman of the Subcommittee Advisory Group, the Archbishop of Miami, His Exc. Mgr. Thomas Wenski said he took some time to identify the most effective mechanisms for reconstruction, but now it is time to start the concrete stage. The Subcommittee also approved funding for the reconstruction of several churches in Cuba, damaged by Hurricane Sandy, which hit the Caribbean island last October (see Fides 06/11/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/11/2012)
- 2014-04-02 - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
- 2014-03-12 - A Catholic Guide for parishes with faithful of different languages and ethnic groups
- 2014-03-05 - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water