AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of Bishops for the Reconstruction and 160 pastoral projects in Latin America
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' (USCCB) has allocated $ 4.9 million for various projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. The USCCB Subcommittee for the Church in Latin America informs that during the last meeting held in Baltimore, Maryland, approved funding for for 160 pastoral projects worth nearly $2.3 million in the region and $2.6 million for the reconstruction of a school and a church in Haiti.
"Supporting pastoral projects is part of our solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Latin America," said the Chairman of the Subcommittee, the Archbishop of Los Angeles, Archbishop Jose H. Gomez. "We also have worked diligently to support the Church in Haiti, in Chile, and now in Cuba as they begin to rebuild infrastructures for the communities of faith affected by severe earthquakes and hurricanes," said the Archbishop.
The note sent to Fides Agency states that the Chairman of the Subcommittee Advisory Group, the Archbishop of Miami, His Exc. Mgr. Thomas Wenski said he took some time to identify the most effective mechanisms for reconstruction, but now it is time to start the concrete stage. The Subcommittee also approved funding for the reconstruction of several churches in Cuba, damaged by Hurricane Sandy, which hit the Caribbean island last October (see Fides 06/11/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/11/2012)
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"