AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of Bishops for the Reconstruction and 160 pastoral projects in Latin America
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' (USCCB) has allocated $ 4.9 million for various projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. The USCCB Subcommittee for the Church in Latin America informs that during the last meeting held in Baltimore, Maryland, approved funding for for 160 pastoral projects worth nearly $2.3 million in the region and $2.6 million for the reconstruction of a school and a church in Haiti.
"Supporting pastoral projects is part of our solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Latin America," said the Chairman of the Subcommittee, the Archbishop of Los Angeles, Archbishop Jose H. Gomez. "We also have worked diligently to support the Church in Haiti, in Chile, and now in Cuba as they begin to rebuild infrastructures for the communities of faith affected by severe earthquakes and hurricanes," said the Archbishop.
The note sent to Fides Agency states that the Chairman of the Subcommittee Advisory Group, the Archbishop of Miami, His Exc. Mgr. Thomas Wenski said he took some time to identify the most effective mechanisms for reconstruction, but now it is time to start the concrete stage. The Subcommittee also approved funding for the reconstruction of several churches in Cuba, damaged by Hurricane Sandy, which hit the Caribbean island last October (see Fides 06/11/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/11/2012)
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars
- 2014-11-18 - Letter of the Bishops of Texas and Ciudad Juarez: "We invite the Pope to come and visit the border area"
- 2014-11-14 - New version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, in English and Spanish
- 2014-11-13 - Students attending Catholic schools increase
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families
- 2014-09-22 - Waiting for the reform, migrant families continue to be divided
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"
- 2014-07-24 - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"