AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of Bishops for the Reconstruction and 160 pastoral projects in Latin America
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' (USCCB) has allocated $ 4.9 million for various projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. The USCCB Subcommittee for the Church in Latin America informs that during the last meeting held in Baltimore, Maryland, approved funding for for 160 pastoral projects worth nearly $2.3 million in the region and $2.6 million for the reconstruction of a school and a church in Haiti.
"Supporting pastoral projects is part of our solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Latin America," said the Chairman of the Subcommittee, the Archbishop of Los Angeles, Archbishop Jose H. Gomez. "We also have worked diligently to support the Church in Haiti, in Chile, and now in Cuba as they begin to rebuild infrastructures for the communities of faith affected by severe earthquakes and hurricanes," said the Archbishop.
The note sent to Fides Agency states that the Chairman of the Subcommittee Advisory Group, the Archbishop of Miami, His Exc. Mgr. Thomas Wenski said he took some time to identify the most effective mechanisms for reconstruction, but now it is time to start the concrete stage. The Subcommittee also approved funding for the reconstruction of several churches in Cuba, damaged by Hurricane Sandy, which hit the Caribbean island last October (see Fides 06/11/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/11/2012)
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away
- 2015-03-20 - Bishops of the diocese on the border: enough with violence and more attention towards the youth
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"