AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "The conflicts that the country experiences are still unresolved": Bishops' document on the situation
Guatemala (Agenzia Fides) - "What do we have to do?" (Lk 3:10) is the title of the document sent to Fides Agency, signed by the President of the Episcopal Conference of Guatemala, His Exc. Mgr. Rodolfo Valenzuela Núñez, Bishop of Verapaz, and the Secretary of the Conference, His Exc. Mgr. Bernabé Sagastume, Bishop of Santa Rosa, in which the Bishops present a reflection on the situation in the country following the recent catastrophic events and the continuing climate of conflict and violence.
After the earthquake, we are called to solidarity, the Bishops write: "This tragedy unites us in pain, but we have to see it as a call to generosity and solidarity among brothers and sisters, to react together in hope."
Then the document focuses on describing the general situation: "We are witnesses of the fears that the whole population lives: the risk of one’s life, to be robbed, unemployment, to suffer without being able to cure diseases, to see one’s child lead astray. There is prevailing violence and also our reaction is violent. The conflicts that the country experiences are still unresolved. We see that there has appeared a new conflict: the State is not able to manage the investments of private individuals for the common good. The poor, the indigenous, farmers, are the great forgotten by the system."
The Bishops wonder "What to do before this conflict?" And suggest: "Enhancing the rule of law, the institution must earn confidence with concrete actions for the common good. We ask willingness on behalf of all to work for the country. The government must strengthen the democratic process and remove any suspicion about the possibility of becoming a militaristic government. To promote a dynamic of nationality founded on brotherhood." The text concludes: "with the blessing of Our Lady, we will succeed in the task of overcoming social conflict." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2012)
- 2013-10-23 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - " They only leave crumbs, generate social conflicts and destroy the environment": Mgr. Ramazzini on foreign mining companies
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Over two thousand children are HIV-positive
- 2013-08-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Ensuring food and health care to mothers in the early months of pregnancy to prevent born babies to die of hunger
- 2013-08-08 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - 4 villages of ethnic Q'eqchi are isolated due to severe floods, the Church intervenes
- 2013-07-31 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Epidemic dengue due to the contagion of 3,700 people and the death of 2 children
- 2013-07-05 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - 6,707 children under five years of age suffer from acute malnutrition and risk death
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Clashes on mining. "One must avoid violence and protect the rights of communities," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Indifference of the government before violence, the bishops raise their voices recalling the open wounds
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Year of Faith: a pastoral Letter denouncing violence
- 2013-01-28 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - For the Bishops "the food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans is more serious than the financial crisis"