AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "The conflicts that the country experiences are still unresolved": Bishops' document on the situation
Guatemala (Agenzia Fides) - "What do we have to do?" (Lk 3:10) is the title of the document sent to Fides Agency, signed by the President of the Episcopal Conference of Guatemala, His Exc. Mgr. Rodolfo Valenzuela Núñez, Bishop of Verapaz, and the Secretary of the Conference, His Exc. Mgr. Bernabé Sagastume, Bishop of Santa Rosa, in which the Bishops present a reflection on the situation in the country following the recent catastrophic events and the continuing climate of conflict and violence.
After the earthquake, we are called to solidarity, the Bishops write: "This tragedy unites us in pain, but we have to see it as a call to generosity and solidarity among brothers and sisters, to react together in hope."
Then the document focuses on describing the general situation: "We are witnesses of the fears that the whole population lives: the risk of one’s life, to be robbed, unemployment, to suffer without being able to cure diseases, to see one’s child lead astray. There is prevailing violence and also our reaction is violent. The conflicts that the country experiences are still unresolved. We see that there has appeared a new conflict: the State is not able to manage the investments of private individuals for the common good. The poor, the indigenous, farmers, are the great forgotten by the system."
The Bishops wonder "What to do before this conflict?" And suggest: "Enhancing the rule of law, the institution must earn confidence with concrete actions for the common good. We ask willingness on behalf of all to work for the country. The government must strengthen the democratic process and remove any suspicion about the possibility of becoming a militaristic government. To promote a dynamic of nationality founded on brotherhood." The text concludes: "with the blessing of Our Lady, we will succeed in the task of overcoming social conflict." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2012)
- 2015-01-29 - A reception center for HIV children
- 2015-01-22 - Niños de Paz project to protect thousands of refugees and displaced children
- 2014-11-12 - To strengthen missionary commitment in spite of violence in the country and people's indifference
- 2014-10-28 - "City of Hope": an integral project for young landfill workers
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in Sacatepéquez continues, the government asks for the mediation of the Church
- 2014-09-29 - Child workers: the exploitation of children represents a permanent crisis
- 2014-09-25 - Violence does not stop due to a mega project in the indigenous territories: 11 dead and several wounded
- 2014-09-10 - AMERICA/GUATEMALA – Fighting poverty and undernourishment to escape underdevelopment
- 2014-02-12 - "Life is not respected any more in the country" alarm of the Church in the fight against drug trafficking
- 2014-02-03 - Everyone must commit themselves for peace and social justice