ASIA/CHINA - The death of Mgr. Guo Chuanzhen: he established the diocesan Seminary where a great number of priests now operating in Shandong Province were formed
Jinan (Agenzia Fides) - On November 6, His Exc. Mgr. Samuel Guo Chuanzhen, O.F.M., Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus of the Archdiocese of Jinan, Shandong Province (China Mainland) died. He was 94 years old and lived retired at the Church of the Immaculate Conception of Jinan. The Archbishop was born on April 14, 1918 in the city of Jinan. In 1931, after attending middle school, he entered the seminary for the study of literature, philosophy and theology. He was ordained priest on December 8, 1944. In 1945 he started his university studies in History at the Catholic University Furen in Beijing, but in 1949, with the arrival of the Popular Republic of China, he was forced to return to his Diocese, where he was pastor of Zhengjuesijie and teacher at the minor seminary.
Since 1963, with the forced closure of all religious activities, he worked as a deputy director in the food industry. During the Cultural Revolution, he was forced to forced labor and under house arrest for 16 years. In 1982 he was allowed to work as a Catholic priest. In 1983 he founded the Holy Spirit Seminary of Shandong, where he was Rector. On 24 April 1988 he was ordained Bishop for the Archdiocese of Jinan.
In the grip of the Cultural Revolution, he preserved and defended the Catholic faith. He is acknowledged with gratitude, the establishment of the diocesan Seminary, where a great number of priests currently operating in the province of Shandong were formed.
The body of Bishop Guo received the tribute of the faithful at the current Cathedral of Hongjialou, where on November 8, His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Zhang Xianwang, Archbishop of Jinan, celebrated the funeral. The mortal remains of the Archbishop were thereafter transferred to the diocesan cemetery of his native village of Huzhuang. The Archdiocese of Jinan currently has 30,000 Catholics, 40 priests, 20 religious women and 11 parishes with about sixty places of worship. (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2012)
- 2013-05-02 ASIA/CHINA - DEEPEST CONDOLENCES FROM MGR. SAVIO HON TAI FAI FOR THE DEATH OF BISHOP JIN
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/CHINA - "Lightning of the East" in the sky of the Chinese Christians
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/CHINA - The death of Mgr.Thomas Qian Yurong. A man of simple faith
- 2013-03-15 ASIA/CHINA - "Pope Francis, we are looking forward to having you in China": Chinese Catholics welcome Pope Francis with great enthusiasm and happiness
- 2013-03-13 ASIA/CHINA - The old restored church in the city of Hai Kou of the Diocese of Hai Nan consecrated and opened
- 2013-03-07 ASIA/CHINA – Itinerant priest in remote communities
- 2013-03-04 ASIA/CHINA - With faith and the Word of God, the Diocese of Bao Ding lives Lent in the Year of Faith
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/CHINA - Over two thousand faithful at the Lectio Divina
- 2013-02-25 ASIA/CHINA - Mainland Catholic community walks intensely spiritual path marked by faith and evangelisation
- 2013-02-22 ASIA/CHINA - Death of a Bishop loved for his understanding of young people